Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4994 Discussions

enable i915 ftrace in CentOS 7

Jin__Zheming
Beginner

I have some question about Vtune. I installed Vtune on a compute node which I have root access. The OS is CentOS 7.  The message I got is " If the Intel® VTune™ Amplifier cannot start an analysis and provides an error message "Collection of GPU usage events cannot be enabled. i915 ftrace events are not available" . How can I enablei915 ftrace on CentOS 7 ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Egor_S_Intel1
Employee

Hi,

If you have CentOS 7.4 and have access to Intel Media Server Studio 2018 package you can install it. It contain appropriate version of i915 driver. For more information please see Prerequisite section in GPU Compute/Media Hotspots Analysis help topic and Intel Media Server Studio 2018 for Linux Getting Started Guide.
If not, you can build new kernel (it is highly recommended to use Linux kernel 4.14 or newer) with appropriate settings for i915 driver. For more information please see Rebuild and Install the Kernel for GPU Analysis help topic. This instruction is applicable for Ubuntu 16.04 but it also can be adapted for CentOS.

Thanks.

0 Kudos