Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

general Exploration for Sandy bridge

sid9559
Beginner
Hello Everyone,

Is there an official guide for general Exploration for sandy bridge Microarchitecture. I found some presentations by intel on it . I know there is an awesome guide for Nehalum but I could not find anything similar for Sandy Bridge.

regards,
siddharth
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Here isthe guideline to tune software on Sandy Bridge -http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/using-intel-vtune-amplifier-xe-to-tune-software-on-the-2nd-generation-intel-core-processor-family/

General Exploration Analysis includes many "commonly use" events, and also give out results(indicators) in report by usingmany Formulas, mentioned in above guideline.

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
sid9559
Beginner
Actually I have gone through this presentations. I was looking for something much more elaborate. Something like they have for xeon and Nehelum.

regards,
sid
0 Kudos
don_w_
Beginner

I am doing collection for a sandybridge target, but my viewer is core2. I run the target collections all from the commandline.

After reading the contents of the link from above (http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/using-intel-vtune-amplifier-xe-to-tune-software-on-the-2nd-generation-intel-core-processor-family/), I'd like to be able to run the same configurations listed in the GUI;  but from my core2 viewer, it doesn't show me what the settings for sandybridge are.  Instead, if I click around in the Sandy Bridge area, it says "This anlysis type is only defined for processors based on the intel micro...Sandy Bridge...".   Since I need to run the gather from the target commandline, can you point me to where I could see what the exact commandline looks like for each of the sandybridge analysis types in the gui?

0 Kudos
don_w_
Beginner

I answered my own question:  under those menu items for sandybridge, way down on the lower right there's a button for "commandline".  Press that, and the commandline is revealed.  On the dialog that pops up, you'll see a couple of options;  uncheck the "Hide knobs with default values" to see even more.

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Here is URL to talk about VTune(TM) Amplifier XE tuning guideline for all recent supported processors.

0 Kudos