Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4999 Discussions

how to calculate Mispredicted Branches Retired per Branch Instruction Retired?

softarts
Beginner
The software optimization cookbook,chapter 7 show us how to calculate the mispredicted branches retired,
but I still have one question about it.

the book

1.Vtune windows has the ratio"Branch Misprediction per Branch Instruction Retired is 0.255 for functio check_3dd,
but Vtune Linux only show the function "check_3odd" occupy 88% total Branch mispredictedion. and no this option in the activity configuration / ratios

2.so I have to calculateratio by myself, "Branch Misprediction per Branch Instruction Retired=BR_INST_RETIRED.MISPRED / BR_INST_RETIRED.ANY"??
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Vladimir_T_Intel
Quoting - softarts
The software optimization cookbook,chapter 7 show us how to calculate the mispredicted branches retired,
but I still have one question about it.

the book

1.Vtune windows has the ratio"Branch Misprediction per Branch Instruction Retired is 0.255 for functio check_3dd,
but Vtune Linux only show the function "check_3odd" occupy 88% total Branch mispredictedion. and no this option in the activity configuration / ratios

2.so I have to calculateratio by myself, "Branch Misprediction per Branch Instruction Retired=BR_INST_RETIRED.MISPRED / BR_INST_RETIRED.ANY"??

There is no difference in calculating the branch misprediction ratio on Windows and Linux. So, if there is no such a ratio in VTune for Linux (which I can't check at the moment), you can calculate it manually (i.e. using Excel spreadsheet). Was that the question?

0 Kudos
softarts
Beginner

There is no difference in calculating the branch misprediction ratio on Windows and Linux. So, if there is no such a ratio in VTune for Linux (which I can't check at the moment), you can calculate it manually (i.e. using Excel spreadsheet). Was that the question?

no,just curious that no this ratio on Linux,but Windows has.
0 Kudos
Vladimir_T_Intel
Quoting - softarts

no,just curious that no this ratio on Linux,but Windows has.
Must be somebody overlooked it. But you can create your own.
0 Kudos