Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

__itt_resume, pause and Advanced Hotspots

Glen_M_
Beginner

I have successfully used "start paused", __itt_resume, and __itt_pause with a Basic Hotspot capture to focus my collection on exactly on the part of the program that I'm interested in. This shows up nicely in the Bottom Up view as a band of capture like so:

Regular Hotspots

When I run the same binary with an Advanced Hotspot capture (again, starting paused) I get it resuming too early, then there's a gap where I "resume for real this time" and then somehow the pause at the end is ignored and the capture collects a bunch of stuff that I'm not interested in.

Advanced Hotspots

The area highlited in red there is where I'd have hoped the capture would have been focused. Other exploration types had similar problems -- largely ignoring my resume

Am I doing something wrong or is resume/pause only properly supported for basic hotspots?

I'm using Vtune XE 2015 on old i7 970

0 Kudos
3 Replies
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Hi Glen M.,

I know there was a defect in the 2016 beta (see this) when using __itt_resume() from Start Paused, so it is possible it was also in the 2015 release you are using. Can you upgrade to 2016 and try again?

BTW, the little gaps identified as "paused" are explained in this article.

0 Kudos
Glen_M_
Beginner

I'm on 2015 4.1 (build 410668) -- I don't know if my license entitles me to 2016 but I've asked someone to find out.

I did, however, try the "__itt_pause first thing in main()" workaround and this seemed to work so your theory seems sound. Unless my license entitles me to 2016 I'll be awfully sad if the fix isn't back-ported.

0 Kudos
Glen_M_
Beginner

I can confirm that upgrading to VTune 2016 solved this problem.

0 Kudos