Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
5000 Discussions

munmap() is not suitable for probed function insertion.

li__yu1
Beginner

hi, 

I always get the following errors on Ubuntu, is there any way to work around this?

amplxe: Error: [Instrumentation Engine]: munmap() is not suitable for probed function insertion.
amplxe: Collection failed.
amplxe: Internal Error

I am using 

Intel(R) VTune(TM) Amplifier 2019 Update 2 (build 584348) Command Line Tool
Copyright (C) 2009-2018 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved

on 

Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
Description:    Ubuntu 16.04.5 LTS
Release:    16.04
Codename:    xenial

Thanks in advance :)

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Vladimir_R_Intel
Employee

Hi Yu,

what kind of analysis did you use?

also does it reproduce with any application or with you particular application? For example, does it work for profiling ls?

BR,

Vladimir

0 Kudos
li__yu1
Beginner

hi Vladimir, 

We are using hotspots, threading and memory consumption. 

I tried other applications, different applications have different results:

1.for ROS nodes, they met the same problem "munmap() is not suitable for probed function insertion."

2. for gtest application, "Insufficient memory" is met:

amplxe: Executing actions 19 % Resolving information for `libstdc++.so.6'      
amplxe: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for file `/bin/ps'.
amplxe: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for file `/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_thread.so.1.58.0'.
amplxe: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for file `/usr/bin/x86_64-linux-gnu-nm'.
Cannot match the module with the symbol file `/usr/bin/nm'. Make sure to specify the correct path to the symbol file in the Binary/Symbol Search list of directories.
amplxe: Executing actions 19 % Resolving information for `libexternal_Sgtest_Sl
amplxe: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for file `/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6'.
Cannot match the module with the symbol file `/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6.0.21'. Make sure to specify the correct path to the symbol file in the Binary/Symbol Search list of directories.
amplxe: Executing actions 50 % done                                            
amplxe: Error: 0x40000002 (Insufficient memory)

3. the only application I succeeded is a simple one I wrote to test the library, without both ROS and gtest. 

0 Kudos
Vladimir_R_Intel
Employee
Hi, please try to use the following command for the initially reported issue (or ROS node from item 1): /bin64/pin -- This step is required to localize the issue. Also please gather and send us logs of the issue: 1 Set the following environment variables: export AMPLXE_MORE_PIN_OPTIONS='-xyzzy -mesgon warning -mesgon log_injector -mesgon log_detach -mesgon log_cblock -mesgon log_probe -mesgon log_fetch_rtn_ins -mesgon log_final -mesgon log_regalloc -comment' export AMPLXE_MORE_TOOL_OPTIONS='-xyzzy -mesgon log_probe -mesgon log_fetch_rtn_ins' 2. Repeat the bad collection. 3. Get .log files from /data.0 directory and attach to the thread. To investigate the 2 item if it reproduces on re-resolving (amplxe-cl -I -r ) we need a bad result, please try to use amplxe-cl -archive -r and send us the result. Also it will be great to know how much memory you have on your system (physical memory, disk space, disk quotes). BR, Vladimir
0 Kudos
li__yu1
Beginner

hi Vladimir,

We found one work around today, instead of using the command line tools, amplxe-gui with "attach to process" method doesn't have the problem. We can get some valuable data from the GUI, so we decide to buy licenses for it.

The log file seems to include some info about our system, I will check with my manager and maybe we can send you in private email if approved but not in the public forum. 

for item 2, the command "amplxe-cl -archive -r " itself crashes:

amplxe: Using result path `/home/ ....   /r007hs'
amplxe: Executing actions  0 %                                                 
amplxe: Warning: The result contains a lot of raw data. Finalization may take a long time to complete.
amplxe: Executing actions 19 % Resolving information for `x86_64-linux-gnu-nm' 
amplxe: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for file `/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_thread.so.1.58.0'.
amplxe: Executing actions 19 % Resolving information for `libexternal_Sgtest_Sl
amplxe: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for file `/usr/bin/x86_64-linux-gnu-nm'.
Cannot match the module with the symbol file `/usr/bin/nm'. Make sure to specify the correct path to the symbol file in the Binary/Symbol Search list of directories.
amplxe: Executing actions 19 % Resolving information for `libc-dynamic.so'     
amplxe: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for file `/bin/ps'.
amplxe: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for file `/opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_2019.2.0.584348/lib64/pinruntime/libc-dynamic.so'.
amplxe: Executing actions 20 % Resolving information for `libbfd-2.26.1-system.
amplxe: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for file `/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libbfd-2.26.1-system.so'.
amplxe: Executing actions 50 % done                                            
amplxe: Error: 0x40000002 (Insufficient memory)
It looks like to be an environment problem? :)

btw, my system is  Dell Precision 5820 Tower (0738) with 64G memory, Intel® Xeon(R) W-2125 CPU @ 4.00GHz × 8, GeForce GTX 1080/PCIe/SSE2

disk space : SSD has 49G available, and SATA has 5.1T available. no disk quota.

0 Kudos