Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

no symbols any more

nicolas_wang
Beginner
Hi, All,
A very strange behavior, I suddenly can not see any symbols anymore with vtune9.1. The summary window disappears too. And with the gsexample(build with "-g -O2"), no process name, function name shows up anymore. Even I build with "-g", still nothing. Except for that, all others looks pretty normal.
Does anyone know why this happens? Is there any hidden configures that I should change.

Thanks,
Yu
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - nicolas.wang
Hi, All,
A very strange behavior, I suddenly can not see any symbols anymore with vtune9.1. The summary window disappears too. And with the gsexample(build with "-g -O2"), no process name, function name shows up anymore. Even I build with "-g", still nothing. Except for that, all others looks pretty normal.
Does anyone know why this happens? Is there any hidden configures that I should change.

Thanks,
Yu

As a quick suggestion, you can clean up ISM data, exit VTune Analyzer and delete contents under /opt/intel/vtune/global_data/ISM, re-enter VTune Analyzer.

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
nicolas_wang
Beginner

As a quick suggestion, you can clean up ISM data, exit VTune Analyzer and delete contents under /opt/intel/vtune/global_data/ISM, re-enter VTune Analyzer.

Regards, Peter
Thanks, Peter. I tried to delete /opt/intel/vtune/global_data/ISM/*, but it still doesn't help.
I'm trying to delete all my datas "global/local/" to see whether it helps.
Do you know what's the root cause for this problem? Yesterday I'm seeing all working fine, but today, not.
Regards, Yu
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - nicolas.wang
Thanks, Peter. I tried to delete /opt/intel/vtune/global_data/ISM/*, but it still doesn't help.
Do you know what's the root cause for this problem? Yesterday I'm seeing all working fine, but today, not.
Regards, Yu
Hi Yu,

If it is not due to ISM issue, can you create a new vtune project to reproduce this problem?

You can change default vtune workspace, original is like /root/workspace for "root" user - you can create (use) /root/workspace1 and create a vtune project under its directory.

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
nicolas_wang
Beginner
Quoting - nicolas.wang
Regards, Yu
Solved this by using a different machine/filesystame. But still not know the root cause.
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - nicolas.wang
Solved this by using a different machine/filesystame. But still not know the root cause.
Usually there are reasons from three levels - (function names and process names are not shown)

1. If the user ever compiled example code without debug info, and displayed address instead of function. Then build example code with debug info. The user should clean up old info in ISM (database), then create new info.

2. If vtune project file was damaged, so the user has to create a new vtune project.

3. If vtune workspace was damaged, so the user has to create a new vtune project in different workspace.

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
nicolas_wang
Beginner
Usually there are reasons from three levels - (function names and process names are not shown)

1. If the user ever compiled example code without debug info, and displayed address instead of function. Then build example code with debug info. The user should clean up old info in ISM (database), then create new info.

2. If vtune project file was damaged, so the user has to create a new vtune project.

3. If vtune workspace was damaged, so the user has to create a new vtune project in different workspace.

Regards, Peter
Thanks again. I highly recommend to create a F.A.Q to include this item :)
0 Kudos