Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

problem running VTUNE

asampat
Beginner

hello,

i was having problems running - mvapich with vtune .

I get the following error, i am new to vtune . can anyone help me figure out what i could be doung wrong?

[sampat@e1 bin]$ /home/7/sampat/mvapich2-1.2-gen2/bin/mpirun_rsh -np 2 e1 e1 /home/7/sampat/vtune9.1//bin/vtl -c sampling.product -app /home/7/sampat/mvapich2-1.2/examples/cpi

Warning: the following directories are network-mounted:

- global data directory (/opt/intel/vtune/global_data)

- user data directory (/home/7/sampat)

This may negatively affect VTune performance!

Note: you may set alternative (non-remote) locations for global and user data directories

via VTUNE_GLOBAL_DIR and VTUNE_USER_DIR environment variables..

To suppress this warning run the following command:

$ touch /home/7/sampat/.vtune_hide_network_warning

Warning: the following directories are network-mounted:

- global data directory (/opt/intel/vtune/global_data)

- user data directory (/home/7/sampat)

This may negatively affect VTune performance!

Note: you may set alternative (non-remote) locations for global and user data directories

via VTUNE_GLOBAL_DIR and VTUNE_USER_DIR environment variables..

To suppress this warning run the following command:

$ touch /home/7/sampat/.vtune_hide_network_warning

/home/7/sampat/vtune9.1//bin/vtl: line 218: 28022 Segmentation fault "${BINARY}" "$@"

MPI process terminated unexpectedly

Exit code -5 signaled from e1

cleanupKilling remote processes...VTune Performance Analyzer 9.1 for Linux*. 30 DAY EVALUATION LICENSE build 102

Copyright (C) 2000-2008 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Syntax error: 'sampling.product' is an unknown command.

Enter 'vtl -help' for getting the list of all available commands.

DONE

Thank you.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

It could be written permission for VTUNE_USER_DIR/VTune_GlOBAL_DIR since you install the product on mounted network directory?

1. Please set environment variable VTUNE_USER_DIR and VTUNE_GLOBAL_DIR to local driver - OR -

(not sure if we met other problems...see release notes)

2.I strongly suggest you touninstall/reinstall the product in local driver.

Regards, Peter

0 Kudos
llywrch
Beginner

It could be written permission for VTUNE_USER_DIR/VTune_GlOBAL_DIR since you install the product on mounted network directory?

1. Please set environment variable VTUNE_USER_DIR and VTUNE_GLOBAL_DIR to local driver - OR -

(not sure if we met other problems...see release notes)

2.I strongly suggest you touninstall/reinstall the product in local driver.

Regards, Peter

While Peter knows far more than I do about VTune, I see a couple of items worth pointing out here:

1) Peter meant to type "drive" rather than "driver" in his response. It is documented in the release notes that network drives don't play nice with Intel's software, so try to keep all of the pieces -- the location of the VTune binary, the executable you wish to analyse, & the workspace -- all on a local drive. Simplicity is always good.

2) Part of your command that is returning the error message you quotereads "vtl -c sampling.command". The "-c" switch defines the kind of collection you wish to do on your executable, & from the error messagevtl does not recognize the option "sampling.command"; try "vtl -c sampling" instead.

vtl furnishes a lot ofuseful information if you run it with the "-help" switch, as well as some examples of how to use it. Have a look there, & see if it gives you some ideas you can use in your current instance.

Geoff

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Also, I suggest you turn the command around and have the VTune analyzer launch the MPI launcher (mpi_run). And, since you are using sampling, you don't even have to have the analyzer launch the app, just start collecting sampling data with an infinite duration ("-d 0"), run your MPI app, then use the ActivityController to stop data collection.

Regards,

0 Kudos