Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4998 Discussions

"Cannot locate file vtsspp.ko"

Bram_S_
New Contributor I

Today I started an evaluation of VTune Amplifier for Linux. (2015 edition, update 1.) I installed it on 'Ubuntu 14.04' with sudo root. The installation process reported success. Yet, when I do an advanced hotspot analysis, I get this warning: Cannot locate file 'vtsspp.ko' When installed with sudo root, and the installation process succeeds, should the kernel module not be built properly and be able to be found? When I search for the module with find, it yields nothing: $ find /lib/modules -name vtsspp.ko -print $ Thanks, Bram Stolk

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Robert_L_Intel1
Employee

That's right.  It warns you when it can't find the file; it doesn't discriminate, and tries to find all files loaded.  So, yes, for those two files, the warnings can be ignored.    As MrAnderson said, I'm talking about the post-collection phase or "finalization" phase, in which case you would see the waning in the collection log window under a heading, "finalization completed with warnings."

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Robert_L_Intel1
Employee

Hi Bram - That is the VTune™ Amplifier XE sampling driver, part of the product itself.  While VTune™ Amplifier XE does not profile itself, it does issue warnings such as this when it sees that the file has been loaded in the target process, which will often be the case, depending on what type of analysis and/or options you choose.

The other not-found file that will come up is sep3_15.ko, which is also a VTune™ Amplifier XE driver.

These files are not on the system library path, but rather under the VTune™ Amplifier XE installation directory itself.

0 Kudos
Bram_S_
New Contributor I

Thanks bob, i dont understand though. You write it warns if it did get loaded? So there is no problem here, and I can ignore the warning?

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Bob's comment is referring to seeing this warning after collection.

If it happened during install, after the installation, change directory to the installation directory and the sepdk/src subdirectory and build the drivers by hand.  As root, execute ./build-driver.  If you get an error about building vtsspp at that point, you/we can investigate.  If it builds successfully, load it with the ./insmod-sep3 script.

0 Kudos
Robert_L_Intel1
Employee

That's right.  It warns you when it can't find the file; it doesn't discriminate, and tries to find all files loaded.  So, yes, for those two files, the warnings can be ignored.    As MrAnderson said, I'm talking about the post-collection phase or "finalization" phase, in which case you would see the waning in the collection log window under a heading, "finalization completed with warnings."

0 Kudos
Bram_S_
New Contributor I

OK,I understand now.

Could not locate means that it could not find the file to do analysis on. Not that the kernel module could not be found, and thus could not be loaded. 

I was concerned because I thought the missing file meant the kernel module loading failed, and thus, I was not getting a complete analysis from my run.

Thanks.

0 Kudos