Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4974 Discussions

unresolved addresses with icc

enriqueg111
Beginner
icc (ICC) 11.1 20100414
vtune 9.1 for Linux

Hi,
I have two problems.

1. I get unresolved addresses in vtune when I use the following to build in "gsexample"
make CC=icc CFLAGS="-g -O2"

I have no problem if I use gcc.

2. I am unable to generate an "Optimization Report" when I click the button while viewing source. No window opens. Nothing happens.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Hi,

Please read this article - which can help to solve this issue.

For "Optimization Report", please discuss this on Intel C++ compiler Forum.

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
Eric_M_Intel2
Employee
1) In Vtune one method of diagnosing this is to - double click on the unresolved addresses. Record one of the addresses which is unkown.
then using your favorite binary analysis tool. Vtune for windows has one (File:Open - choose the binary),nm -Sbinary will also work.
locate those addresses in your binary. Which Function should they be at?Look at thereported length of the function and make sure that the address+ offset is within the function.

2) First Generate an Optimization Report using-opt-report in the compiler. Instructions can be found in the documentation provided with Vtune. or you can click this link: http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-vtune-performance-analyzer-for-linux-documentation/ and open "Getting Compiler Advice from Optimization Reports"

0 Kudos
Eric_M_Intel2
Employee

I examined the unresolved addresses generated by using Intel Compiler. I got a minor # of samples which were unresolved (In my case~20 of ~8000 samples)

All ~20 samples were in the PLT (Procedure Linking Table)of the binary. Vtune does not associate samples in the PLT with any particular function.

I get the same ~20 Samples on the gcc binary - exceptbecause gcc didn't do as aggressive inlining by default - it is 1 of 10 functions listed in VTune. (And therefore is not as obvious that these unresolved addresses exist)

0 Kudos