Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

vTune installation and callgraph usage problems / errors

ericshufro
Beginner
Hello. I am am having difficulty using vTune for callgraph generation on a Win32 binary produced using VS2008 on Windows 7. When i first open vTune, a dialog box appears that says "One or more componenets did not install correctly. You may need to reinstall the product." I have tried reinstalling the product and have not been able to correct the issue. I have also tried installing the 32-bit version. I am using a Core i7 CPU.

However, if i click OK when the above dialog box appears, i can continue. Time stamping seems to work, however the callgraph generator instruments all modules associated with the module of interest(inclusive) but then says "No module from the activity was loaded". I have tried clearing caches as well as other online suggestions to no avail. Any suggestions you can make to help improve the situation would be great.

Thank you in advance,

--Eric Shufro
0 Kudos
6 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
In my limited understanding, VTune may not yet support win7. PTU should support it, but I'm having difficulty myself, although there are no remarks about installation problems. I'm checking now whether the 32-bit version works under XPM on Core i7.
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Quoting - tim18
In my limited understanding, VTune may not yet support win7. PTU should support it, but I'm having difficulty myself, although there are no remarks about installation problems. I'm checking now whether the 32-bit version works under XPM on Core i7.
I profiled both 64-bit and 32-bit builds with fair success under the PTU4 for Intel64 on Windows 7 pro on core i7. I had to remove the multiplexing option.
I didn't have any success with PTU running under XPM.
0 Kudos
Vladimir_T_Intel
Quoting - ericshufro
I am am having difficulty using vTune for callgraph generation on a Win32 binary produced using VS2008 on Windows 7.
Just to clarify with OS support. Although the latest VTune 9.1 Update 7 supports Windows 7 (the bits will be available for downloading soon), the support is limited to Sampling analysis only. Call Graph is not intended to work on Windows 7.

Instead we recommend using statistical call tree provided by Intel Parallel Amplifier. PTU will work as well, but Amplifier is better supported and provides more flexibility in analysis (e.g. supports MSFT Symbol Server for resolving function names called in system modules, etc.).
0 Kudos
Eli_H_Intel
Employee

A follow up question I have RE VTune and Windows 7....

Does VTune9.1 Udate 7 support thread profiling of either 64-bit or 32-bit applications running on win7 64-bit?

Any info on this will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Eli

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

No, on win7-64 only event based sampling is supported. That works well for me.

I too attempted Thread Profiler, including OpenMP specific, and got expert confirmation it's not supported. Profiling by linking the openmp-profile library does work.

0 Kudos
Vladimir_T_Intel

Does VTune9.1 Udate 7 support thread profiling of either 64-bit or 32-bit applications running on win7 64-bit?

Just to confirm what tim18 said in the previous post: VTune 9.1 Update 7 does not support profiling based on binary instrumentation technology on Windows 7. It includes Call Graph and Thread Profiler (and Thread Checker as well, as a separate product).

If you profileOpenMP application withusing source level instrumentation (by adding /Qopenmp-profile option during compilation w/ Intel Compiler), it doesn't affect the binary instrumentation engine and Thread Profiler will work (in the OpenMP specific collection mode)fine.

0 Kudos