Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

vb.net

shailesh_pujara
Beginner

I have downloaded yesterday the VPA and tried to analyse my vb.net application.
It failed to drill me down to source.
The I triedwith VC++generating a small app.and succeed.
I don't understand where I am mistaking in vb.net project. I havedebug mode to"ALL" andthere isPDBfile present in the
application folder i.e. bin\debug with exe.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Please use Sampling Wizard or Call graph Wizard with .NET profiling (instead of Windows*/Linux* profiling).

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
shailesh_pujara
Beginner
Please use Sampling Wizard or Call graph Wizard with .NET profiling (instead of Windows*/Linux* profiling).

Regards, Peter

I have used it with .net profiling only... not with windows-/linux* profiling...
As an .Net Developer I know this simple thing... I have tried everything given
in Help/FAQ. Still not able to see source code in sampling...

yes, I can view it in CALL Graph then why not in sampling...
I have set all the parameters perfect in .net configuration ...
even remove security setting for CLICKONCE deployment...
even tried on another machine...

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - shailesh_pujara

I have used it with .net profiling only... not with windows-/linux* profiling...

You said that you can view source from Call Graph, but not for sampling.

Have you been asked module name when you open hotspots report? If yes,
Have you been asked source file name when you double-click on function/method name?

I suggest you to clean up OptionsDirectoriesSymbol Repository, and you can specify "Search Directories" for "Source/Binary/Symbol files" (if you wants VTune Analyzer to use files under their directories)

You have to exit/reenter the product to see if it is effective.

If you can't solve this problem - please visit https://premier.intel.com to submit the issue with your test case.

Thanks, Peter
0 Kudos
shailesh_pujara
Beginner

You said that you can view source from Call Graph, but not for sampling.

Have you been asked module name when you open hotspots report? If yes,
Have you been asked source file name when you double-click on function/method name?

I suggest you to clean up OptionsDirectoriesSymbol Repository, and you can specify "Search Directories" for "Source/Binary/Symbol files" (if you wants VTune Analyzer to use files under their directories)

You have to exit/reenter the product to see if it is effective.

If you can't solve this problem - please visit https://premier.intel.com to submit the issue with your test case.

Thanks, Peter

Thanks for reply.

I am unable to login to premier.intel.com page...
So added swf files of what I have done with two examples - Testvbnet and testvcppnet
So you can have idea the way I am using the vtune.

Hope this may help you to understand my problem.

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
I can't see .swf file maybe I use IE6 and missed some plug-in ActiveX.

Why can't you access https://premier.intel.com? Please send email with test case to zhen.yu.wang@intel.com my email box, I can create an issue for you and investigate.

You said that you have Call graph results with source file,but no sampling data in source file. Probably when you ran applicationon sampling data collection, most of spent timewas dropped inMicrosoft* runtime libraries,managed code, etc - so I suggest to addbig workload (e.g, big loop) in your source, and have a retry. Understand that sampling data collectiongathers hotinstructions in your code, maybe your source is not"hot". That is differentsituation for Call graph, it will recordall function calls, even if the call count is "1".

Regards, Peter

0 Kudos
shailesh_pujara
Beginner
I can't see .swf file maybe I use IE6 and missed some plug-in ActiveX.

Why can't you access https://premier.intel.com? Please send email with test case to zhen.yu.wang@intel.com my email box, I can create an issue for you and investigate.

You said that you have Call graph results with source file,but no sampling data in source file. Probably when you ran applicationon sampling data collection, most of spent timewas dropped inMicrosoft* runtime libraries,managed code, etc - so I suggest to addbig workload (e.g, big loop) in your source, and have a retry. Understand that sampling data collectiongathers hotinstructions in your code, maybe your source is not"hot". That is differentsituation for Call graph, it will recordall function calls, even if the call count is "1".

Regards, Peter

Thanks Peter,
You may be right... I am trying on a small sample application. I shallcreate a big workloand and retry again.
Regarding swf file I have added it to thread creating a folder and given the same folder path testvbnet[filename].swf in the reference of the inserted media.. but it can not be viewed on my comp too. I don't know, if I must give the absolute path of this site, how can i get it or whether on this pages it accept the files stored on this thread or not or is there any way to display my stored file on this thread to other users or not...

Well, thanks again and I shall send you the mail on your personal id from my yahoo account attaching those files.

Regards
Shailesh
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Thanks Peter,
You may be right... I am trying on a small sample application. I shallcreate a big workloand and retry again.
Regarding swf file I have added it to thread creating a folder and given the same folder path testvbnet[filename].swf in the reference of the inserted media.. but it can not be viewed on my comp too. I don't know, if I must give the absolute path of this site, how can i get it or whether on this pages it accept the files stored on this thread or not or is there any way to display my stored file on this thread to other users or not...

Well, thanks again and I shall send you the mail on your personal id from my yahoo account attaching those files.

Regards
Shailesh

Thanks for SWF files. Please drill down to testvb.exe.jit when you use sampling .NET profiling. -peter
0 Kudos
shailesh_pujara
Beginner

Thanks Peter,

Regards
Shailesh

Thanks for SWF files. Please drill down to testvb.exe.jit when you use sampling .NET profiling. -peter

Dear Peter,
Thanks very much for the help extended to me and solving my problem.
I have added three images here showing 1) analysis for my testvb.exe 2) Changes I have made to source code and 3) Reanalysis showing improvement.

Regards
Shailesh
0 Kudos