Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

vtune

AronRoland
Beginner

Hi Folks,

i have the following issue already discussed on Fedora, however, with no usable outcome. Basically, everything works more or less fine with oneAPI but I exprienced issues with vtune.

The issue looks like this ...

[WARNING] yaksa: 44 leaked handle pool objects
[WARNING] yaksa: 22 leaked handle pool objects
vtune: Error: [Instrumentation Engine]: Source/pin/injector_u/loadercommands.cpp: NotifyOnMiniloaderFailure: 689: Injector: caught unexpected signal 11 while running miniloader on
file /usr/bin/dash  
vtune: Error: 0x4000002c (Invalid result directory) -- /home/aron/git/SweTools/regtests/hydstruct/durchlass_kreis_group_var/vtune.T470P

If I run with another anlysis type e.g.

vtune: Warning: Cannot collect GPU hardware metrics due to a lack of permissions. Use root privileges (recommended) or re-configure your current permissions to make sure you are a
member of the video user group and /proc/sys/dev/i915/perf_stream_paranoid value is set to 0.

vtune: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for file `/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ld-2.33.so'.

vtune: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for file `/opt/intel/oneapi/mpi/2021.2.0/libfabric/lib/prov/libsockets-fi.so'.
vtune: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for file `/lib/modules/5.11.0-16-generic/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/drm.ko'.
vtune: Warning: Cannot read load addresses of sections from `/sys/module/drm/sections'. This may affect the correctness of symbol resolution for `/lib/modules/5.11.0-16-generic/ker
nel/drivers/gpu/drm/drm.ko'. Make sure this directory exists and all files in this directory have read permissions.
vtune: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for file `/lib/modules/5.11.0-16-generic/kernel/arch/x86/kvm/kvm.ko'.
vtune: Warning: Cannot read load addresses of sections from `/sys/module/kvm/sections'. This may affect the correctness of symbol resolution for `/lib/modules/5.11.0-16-generic/ker
nel/arch/x86/kvm/kvm.ko'. Make sure this directory exists and all files in this directory have read permissions.

vtune: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for file `/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc-2.33.so'.

vtune: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for file `/lib/modules/5.11.0-16-generic/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915.ko'.
vtune: Warning: Cannot read load addresses of sections from `/sys/module/i915/sections'. This may affect the correctness of symbol resolution for `/lib/modules/5.11.0-16-generic/ke
rnel/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915.ko'. Make sure this directory exists and all files in this directory have read permissions.
vtune: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for file `/home/aron/opt/mpich_intel/lib/libmpifort.so.0.0.0'.

vtune: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for file `/home/aron/opt/mpich_intel/lib/libmpi.so.0.0.0'.
vtune: Warning: Cannot locate debugging information for the Linux kernel. Source-level analysis will not be possible. Function-level analysis will be limited to kernel symbol table
s. See the Enabling Linux Kernel Analysis topic in the product online help for instructions.

[proxy:0:0@T470P] HYDU_sock_write (utils/sock/sock.c:254): write error (Broken pipe)
[proxy:0:0@T470P] HYD_pmcd_pmip_control_cmd_cb (pm/pmiserv/pmip_cb.c:930): unable to write to downstream stdin
[proxy:0:0@T470P] HYDT_dmxu_poll_wait_for_event (tools/demux/demux_poll.c:76): callback returned error status
[proxy:0:0@T470P] main (pm/pmiserv/pmip.c:169): demux engine error waiting for event
[mpiexec@T470P] control_cb (pm/pmiserv/pmiserv_cb.c:206): assert (!closed) failed
[mpiexec@T470P] HYDT_dmxu_poll_wait_for_event (tools/demux/demux_poll.c:76): callback returned error status
[mpiexec@T470P] HYD_pmci_wait_for_completion (pm/pmiserv/pmiserv_pmci.c:160): error waiting for event
[mpiexec@T470P] main (ui/mpich/mpiexec.c:326): process manager error waiting for completion

> but gpu is not an issue and at least i got some results ...

I need hotspots ...

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlekhyaV_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for posting in Intel Forums. I've tried running the Vtune matrix sample in fedora with multiple analysis and It worked fine without any errors. I'll provide you the steps to run matrix sample in fedora.

Step 1: Run the below commands in the home directory in fedora.

cd intel/oneapi

source setvars.sh

cd vtune/2021.3.0/samples/en/C++/matrix

Step 2: To run various analysis for matrix sample, use the following commands.

• Collecting Hotspots

vtune -collect hotspots ./matrix

• Performance snapshot

vtune -collect performance-snapshot ./matrix

• Hotspot collection (hardware event-based sampling) with non-default sampling interval 0.5 ms

vtune -collect hotspots -knob sampling-mode=hw -knob sampling-interval=0.5 ./matrix

• Generate the hotspots report for the 'r000hs' result directory:

vtune -report hotspots -r r000hs ./matrix

• Please provide result directory while running analysis using -r flag.

vtune -collect hotspots -r <path to result directory>

Could you please let us know what analysis type you're running? And Do you need CPU hotspots or GPU hotspots?

According to the second error, it shows that you don't have root permission to carry out the analysis. You either need to run with root privileges or add yourself to video group. (usermod -aG video <username>)

Thanks,

Alekhya

0 Kudos
AlekhyaV_Intel

Hi,

Can you give us an update regarding this issue?

Thanks,

Alekhya

0 Kudos
AlekhyaV_Intel

Hi,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry now. If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Thanks,

Alekhya

0 Kudos
AronRoland
Beginner

Hi Guys,

i have switched in the meanwhile to the following Linux release ...

Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description:    Ubuntu 21.04
Release:        21.04
Codename:       hirsute

... and I have updated today 9/12/21 the oneApi as well as Vtune ...

Issue:

vtune: Error: [Instrumentation Engine]: Source/pin/injector_u/loadercommands.cpp: NotifyOnMiniloaderFailure: 689: Injector: caught unexpected signal 11 while running miniloader on file /usr/bin/dash  
vtune: Error: Result path `/home/aron/git/SweTools/regtests/worms2/vtune.T490s/vtune.T490s.vtune' does not exist.

I have attached the log output of the self-checker ...

Thanks in advance ...

Aron

0 Kudos
AronRoland
Beginner

I have invoked vtune with this command ...

mpirun -n 4 vtune -quiet -collect hotspots -trace-mpi -result-dir vtune swetools

0 Kudos