Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4998 Discussions

why I can not find the event which I used in vtune 2011?

liu__kevin
Beginner

Hi,

Does anyone knows the event list in vtune 2017? I did not find a event counter, which I found it in vtune 2011, but in 2017 it do not have, certainly, machines are different. So, can I still use the event even though it do not have in the list? does there have a method like I can write something or use command to call/use the event which is not in list but I saw in vtune 2011.

Another question, does vtune 2017 and 2011 have same event list? or the list shows different depending on different machine? even on the same CPU like i7, it also have different event list?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
liu__kevin
Beginner

The event like "L1D_ALL_REF.ANY", I used in vtune 2011 but can not find in vtune 2017, does any method I can use this event in 2017?

My CPU info:

bogomips    : 6815.84
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment    : 64
address sizes    : 39 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

processor    : 7
vendor_id    : GenuineIntel
cpu family    : 6
model        : 94
model name    : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz
stepping    : 3
microcode    : 0x8a
cpu MHz        : 1026.109
cache size    : 8192 KB
physical id    : 0
siblings    : 8
core id        : 3
cpu cores    : 4
apicid        : 7
initial apicid    : 7
fpu        : yes
fpu_exception    : yes
cpuid level    : 22
wp        : yes
flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc art arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf eagerfpu pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 sdbg fma cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm abm 3dnowprefetch epb intel_pt tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 hle avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid rtm mpx rdseed adx smap clflushopt xsaveopt xsavec xgetbv1 dtherm ida arat pln pts hwp hwp_notify hwp_act_window hwp_epp
bugs        :
bogomips    : 6815.84
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment    : 64
address sizes    : 39 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Alexandra_S_Intel

As with the event you mentioned in your other thread, your CPU is a Skylake, and does not have L1D_ALL_REF.ANY.

I'm going to close this topic as it's already being discussed in your other thread, making this a duplicate.

0 Kudos
liu__kevin
Beginner

Alexandra S. (Intel) wrote:

As with the event you mentioned in your other thread, your CPU is a Skylake, and does not have L1D_ALL_REF.ANY.

I'm going to close this topic as it's already being discussed in your other thread, making this a duplicate.

Hi Alexandra,

Please close it, I opened new in case you may will not be online

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Alexandra_S_Intel

Creating a new topic won't help as much as you may think. We actually do have a system in place to ensure that topics don't get forgotten after the first reply. :)

Best case, you have the same TCE (like me) trying to work on two threads with the same topic. Worst case, you have two different TCEs wasting time and resources by both answering the same question, when they could be helping two different people instead of just one.

It also makes it harder for people who come here looking for answers to find them, because they have to track down the other topic to read the rest of the conversation.
For those people, here's the conversation this topic branched from: https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-vtune-amplifier-xe/topic/699368 
I've provided a more detailed answer to Kevin's question there, with more context.

0 Kudos
liu__kevin
Beginner

Alexandra S. (Intel) wrote:

Creating a new topic won't help as much as you may think. We actually do have a system in place to ensure that topics don't get forgotten after the first reply. :)

Best case, you have the same TCE (like me) trying to work on two threads with the same topic. Worst case, you have two different TCEs wasting time and resources by both answering the same question, when they could be helping two different people instead of just one.

It also makes it harder for people who come here looking for answers to find them, because they have to track down the other topic to read the rest of the conversation.
For those people, here's the conversation this topic branched from: https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-vtune-amplifier-xe/topic/699368 
I've provided a more detailed answer to Kevin's question there, with more context.

I have a another question, I will post in that thread, but nice to know this, thank you.

0 Kudos