Application Acceleration With FPGAs
Programmable Acceleration Cards (PACs), DCP, FPGA AI Suite, Software Stack, and Reference Designs
477 Discussions

Compiling an application on the Intel OpenCL SDK results in compile failed error please help!

fpgalearner
Beginner

I am using the OpenCL SDK vs 16.0 to compile an opencl application. The compilation process starts and crashes at the very end with a "Compiler Error, not able to generate hardware" message. The log file shows me an error like this "Info: error_adapter_0: "avalon_st_adapter_003" instantiated error_adapter "error_adapter_0"" I have seen similar errors reported on the web but could not find any answers.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
HRZ
Valued Contributor III

Please post your board name, BSP version, Quartus version (quartus_map --version), AOC version (aoc --version) and full quartus_sh_compile.log file.

0 Kudos
fpgalearner
Beginner

Thanks HRZ,

Here are the details:-

1. Board name- Terasic DE5-Net board
  2. BSP version-DE5-Net BSP16.0
  3. Quartus Prime Analysis & Synthesis Version 16.0.0
  4. Full quartus_sh_compile log file(Attached)

0 Kudos
HRZ
Valued Contributor III

This is the actual error:

Error (293007): Current module quartus_cdb ended unexpectedly. Verify that you have sufficient memory available to compile your design. You can view disk space and physical RAM requirements on the System and Software Requirements page of the Altera website (http://dl.altera.com/requirements/).

How much RAM do you have on the machine you are using for compilation? Stratix V designs could need up to 32 GB of memory for placement and routing.

0 Kudos
fpgalearner
Beginner

Here are my system specs:-

Intel Core i7-7700@ 4.2GHz

Available RAM- 45GB

I do not see that there is a over utilization of memory, Funnily however the application got compiled some time later with a recompile but again I get similar error in some other applications as well. Looking for concrete solutions, please help :(

0 Kudos
HRZ
Valued Contributor III

If the same kernel compiled fine another time but you ran into the same error again with another kernel, you are definitely running out of memory. Are you running multiple compilations in parallel? Try to watch or even log your applications' memory usage and see what is taking up your memory when the compilation crashes.

P.S. DE5-Net has compatible BSPs with Quartus v16.1 and also 18.0+; you can always try using the newer versions of the compiler which will be more stable.

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi fpgalearner,

This error message indicates insufficient memory. You have to verify that you have sufficient memory available to compile your design.

Thanks

0 Kudos