Application Acceleration With FPGAs
Programmable Acceleration Cards (PACs), DCP, FPGA AI Suite, Software Stack, and Reference Designs
475 Discussions

Intel OneApi and Stratix 10 GX MMD MMD JTag problem

MDavi68
Novice

Hello,

I have problems testing programs of Intel(R) oneAPI DPC++ Compiler 2021.1 (2020.8.0.1005) for FPGAs with Quartus 19.4 support for a custom platform: Stratix10 GX with Quartus 19.4 BSP.

After compilation, I run the program and It try to reprogram the Stratix10GX, but one of the messages shows "Autodetect Cable not Found"

MMD INFO : [acls10_ref0] Trying Full-Chip Reconfiguration (JTAG)
MMD INFO : Autodetect Cable not found!!
MMD INFO : setting Cable to default value 1
MMD INFO : setting Device Index to default value 1
MMD INFO : executing "quartus_pgm -c 1 -m jtag -o "P;reprogram_temp.sof@1""

As the default jtag chain is 1, the IDs do not correspond to the FPGA chip and the programming fault. For my device jtag chain is :

1) USB-BlasterII [5-4]
  020A40DD   5M(1270ZF324|2210Z)/EPM2210
  C32150DD   1SG280HH(1S2|2S2|3S2)/..

and the programming error is as below:

Error (18952): Error status: The device chain in Programmer does not match physical device chain. Expected JTAG ID code 0xC32150DD for device 1, but found JTAG ID code 0x020A40DD.
Error (209012): Operation failed

If I try to test an OpenCL program and run it after "aocl program *.aocx" it is successful.

How I can program the FPGA with OneApi? I had tested three examples: fpga_compile, loop_unrool, and max_concurrency(this worked for me the first time that I run, and never again).

I appreciate your kindle help

0 Kudos
1 Solution
HRZ
Valued Contributor III

Typically you would program the FPGA via JTAG once and after that, run-time reconfiguration should happen via PCI-E. You can manually reconfigure the FPGA via JTAG by using the following chain of commands to extract the .sof from your .aocx file (replace text between ** with appropriate names):

aocl binedit *aocx_file* get .acl.fpga.bin *bin_file*
aocl binedit *bin_file* get .acl.sof *sof_file*

And then run quartus_pgm to program the FPGA (@2 points to the second device in the JTAG chain):

quartus_pgm --mode=JTAG --cable=1 -o "p;*sof_file*;@2"

Then do a reboot and after that PCI-E-based reconfiguration should work if your BSP has been created correctly.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
HRZ
Valued Contributor III

Typically you would program the FPGA via JTAG once and after that, run-time reconfiguration should happen via PCI-E. You can manually reconfigure the FPGA via JTAG by using the following chain of commands to extract the .sof from your .aocx file (replace text between ** with appropriate names):

aocl binedit *aocx_file* get .acl.fpga.bin *bin_file*
aocl binedit *bin_file* get .acl.sof *sof_file*

And then run quartus_pgm to program the FPGA (@2 points to the second device in the JTAG chain):

quartus_pgm --mode=JTAG --cable=1 -o "p;*sof_file*;@2"

Then do a reboot and after that PCI-E-based reconfiguration should work if your BSP has been created correctly.

0 Kudos
AnilErinch_A_Intel

Hi ,

Hope the community discussion was useful and the issue is resolved.

Just to add on please find the knowledge base link below for similar JTAG errors

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/rd01172013_21.html

Thanks and Regards

Anil

0 Kudos