Application Acceleration With FPGAs
Programmable Acceleration Cards (PACs), DCP, DLA, Software Stack, and Reference Designs
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
426 Discussions

Power measurement of Arria 10 FPGA

ADua0
Beginner

Hi,

I want to calculate the power consumption of fpga when I am running my opencl code on Arria 10 FPGA, is there any tool that can help me measure power

0 Kudos
6 Replies
HRZ
Valued Contributor II

What board are you using? Nallatech and Bittware Arria 10 boards come with on-board power sensors and they provide exampels in their documentation as to how the sensor can be read in standard C code. I think Intel's reference board also comes with some power measurement tool. For other boards, you should probably consult the board manufacturer to see if they provide a power sensor on the board. If not, you will be limited to either using a PCI-E riser cable and measuring power on that, which would be accurate but potentially dangerous (due to possibility of shorting during measurement), or use a Plug-In Power Meter and subtract the measured power consumption with and without the board, to get the board power usage, but this will be highly inaccurate.

ADua0
Beginner

@HRZ​ , I am using ARRIA 10 GX FPGA board, I found one source of https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/operation-and-testing..., to download power estimator, but I am not able to edit anything, it needs password to make changes . Do you know any other solution ?

HRZ
Valued Contributor II

That is a power "estimator", not measurement tool. Maybe one of the Intel mods can point to a power measurement tool/method for the Arria 10 GX board.

ADua0
Beginner

Oh okay I got, @HRZ​ , I used quartus_pow that did generated estimate power, should I trust this report generated from quartus_pow.

ADua0
Beginner

Oh okay I got, @HRZ​ , I used quartus_pow that did generated estimate power, should I trust this report generated from quartus_pow.

HRZ
Valued Contributor II

That is also one option, but quartus_pow assumes a signal activity of 12.5%. Depending on the switching characteristics of your design, the value you get from quartus_pow could be close to the real value, or very far from it. The static power usage should be relatively accurate; it is the dynamic power usage that is the main source of difference between the real power usage and the estimation you get from quartus_pow.