Application Acceleration With FPGAs
Programmable Acceleration Cards (PACs), DCP, FPGA AI Suite, Software Stack, and Reference Designs
477 Discussions

Unable to Compile OpenCL on Arria 10 GX

MAlif1
Beginner

Hello,

I am running OpenCL kernel on Arria 10 GX board.

I am not able to compile my design due to this error:

Error: Kernel fit error, recommend using -high-effort.

Error: Cannot fit kernel(s) on device

How can I overcome this issue?

Please help

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Fawaz_Al-Jubori
Employee

Hello,

Sometimes, OpenCL kernel compilation fails during the hardware generation stage because the design fails to meet fitting constraints.

In this case, recompile the kernel using the -high-effort option of the aoc command. When kernel compilation fails because of a fitting constraint problem, the Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ Offline Compiler displays the following error message:

To overcome this problem, recompile your kernel by invoking the following command:

aoc -high-effort <your_kernel_filename>.cl

After you invoke the command, the offline compiler displays the following message:

High-effort hardware generation selected, compile time may increase significantly.

The offline compiler will make three attempts to recompile your kernel and generate hardware. Modify your kernel if compilation still fails after the -high-effort attempt.

Hope this might help.

Thank you

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Fawaz_Al-Jubori
Employee

Hello,

Sometimes, OpenCL kernel compilation fails during the hardware generation stage because the design fails to meet fitting constraints.

In this case, recompile the kernel using the -high-effort option of the aoc command. When kernel compilation fails because of a fitting constraint problem, the Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ Offline Compiler displays the following error message:

To overcome this problem, recompile your kernel by invoking the following command:

aoc -high-effort <your_kernel_filename>.cl

After you invoke the command, the offline compiler displays the following message:

High-effort hardware generation selected, compile time may increase significantly.

The offline compiler will make three attempts to recompile your kernel and generate hardware. Modify your kernel if compilation still fails after the -high-effort attempt.

Hope this might help.

Thank you

0 Kudos
HRZ
Valued Contributor III

Your design is too large to fit on the device; i.e. it requires more resources than there are available on the device. Check the HTML report for an estimation of your design's area usage and modify your design accordingly. The "-high-effort" option will very rarely help, and only in cases where your design narrowly fails to fit on the device or route.

MAlif1
Beginner

Thank you Fjumaah, your suggestion helped me to fix the issue.

Thank you HRZ for your information, I appreciated your efforts.

0 Kudos