Intel® Xeon® D Processors: Built for the Edge
Compute is racing to the edge, and Intel is there to meet it. At Mobile World Congress 2022, we introduced the Intel® Xeon® D-1700 and D-2700 family of processors, codenamed “Ice Lake D.” The Intel® Xeon® D-1700 and D-2700 family of processors are the next-generation system on a chip (SoC), built to deliver on today’s needs at the edge. These processors power solutions that will infuse your network and edge with the computing, ethernet connectivity, and security to handle the coming wave of demand at the edge. The Intel® Xeon® D-1700 and D-2700 family of processors enable scalability of software investment and reduce total cost of ownership (TCO) with a durable, intelligent infrastructure.
We’re excited to share the potential of this technology, especially as edge demand continues to grow. By 2025, more than 50 percent of data will be created and processed outside centralized data centers. In the same year, the total market size for edge-based computing processors is estimated to reach $66 billion.1
Intel, along with its partner ecosystem, is working with communications service providers, cloud service providers, telecom equipment manufacturers, and network equipment providers alike, helping them prepare for edge demands—and capture market opportunity.
Tackle challenges at the edge
The edge evolution and growth in computing and connectivity presents a chance to deliver on the new edge use cases and applications. Service providers are looking for ways to differentiate their edge offerings and move fast to deploy and modernize their infrastructure to gain first-mover advantage in providing new services.
At the same time, they’re determining how to architect and manage distributed edge computing infrastructure to provide better customer experiences, lower total cost of ownership, and increase long-term return on investment. To support customer retention and acquisition, any edge infrastructure solution must enable security and high performance (including low-latency and high network throughput).
Service providers can capitalize on network virtualization and practices honed in the public cloud to help standardize and speed edge adoption. These approaches also provide the flexibility and agility to efficiently manage a complex, disaggregated network spanning a range of environments at scale. That includes environments that are space- and power-constrained. Creating further efficiencies for infrastructure, artificial intelligence (AI) has the potential to provide continuous network optimization and right-size workloads to meet the demands of the moment.
Confidently lay a strong foundation for the edge
The Intel® Xeon® D-1700 and D-2700 family of processors are designed to meet edge demands. While delivering on performance, the SoC includes several features to support security, intelligence, durability, and scale.
- Security. Extend security to the edge and help protect data in use with Intel® Software Guard Extensions. In tandem, Intel® QuickAssist Technology accelerates encryption and compression and supports up to 100 Gbps crypto and 70 Gbps compression functionality simultaneously.
- Intelligence. Unique built-in AI capabilities—such as Intel® Deep Learning Boost Vector Neural Network Instructions and enhanced AVX-512 support for Vector Byte Manipulation Instructions—support increased network intelligence while enhancing the performance of connected devices and software.
- Durability. Built to deliver density and power-optimized compute, the Intel® Xeon® D-2700 and D-1700 family of processors come in a durable BGA package highly integrated for simplicity and power efficiency. The processor can run in compact device form factors for indoor, outdoor, and ruggedized edge deployments.
- Scale. Tailor solutions by the level of compute and performance—Intel® Xeon® D processors deliver software scalability with full software compatibility across our processor families.
Accelerate edge network use cases
As the industry explores edge use cases, achieving success starts at the foundation. To support our partners and customers, we’ve optimized the Intel® Xeon® D-1700 and D-2700 family of processors to deliver on key use cases, including:
- Security appliances. These processors deliver Transport Layer Security (TLS) acceleration and up to 1.5 times Vector Packet Processing IPSec performance2 compared with the previous generation for use in enabling Universal Customer Premise Equipment (uCPE), Secure Access Sevices Edge (SASE), and more.
- Virtualized radio access networks (vRAN). The processor’s density-optimized compute engines are well-suited for vRAN deployments. And the AVX-512 parallel instruction set enhances optimization of data processing for vRAN.
- Network-attached storage. The highly integrated SoC can help reduce power consumption and help modernize network storage infrastructure for throughput, flexibility, and cost efficiency.
- Internet of Things (IoT). To effectively and efficiently enable the connectivity access of ever-growing IoT data at the edge—spanning industrial, transportation, military, aerospace, retail, and other sectors—these processors can power applications that require instant-boot capabilities.
To further propel innovation for network and edge use cases, we collaborate with a mature ecosystem of partners, vendors, and customers. Our Intel® Network Builders program enables over 500 members to get to market faster with optimized workloads, software platforms, and edge applications.
We also offer developers the most complete set of technologies to create edge solutions. These technologies span from our hardware portfolio to our unparalleled software toolkits. Built on open standards and APIs, solutions such as our FlexRAN™ reference architecture, Intel® Smart Edge, and Intel® Smart Edge Open simplify edge network service deployment. And the OpenVino™ toolkit enables fast development and deployment of AI solutions.
Achieve balance at the edge with Intel® Xeon® D
The rise of edge computing and connectivity has been and continues to be an epochal change for the world of information technology. At Intel, we’re proud to work with the industry and our customers to bring the future of edge computing closer. With the Intel® Xeon® D-1700 and D-2700 family of processors, the industry now has access to a platform designed for the edge from its inception. These processors provide the scale, intelligence, cost-efficiency, and durability that next-generation edge networks need—and are designed with the consistent, compatible Intel® architecture that service providers know and trust.
Learn more about the potential of the Intel® Xeon® D-1700 and D-2700 family of processors to bring cloud computing power and efficiency to edge networks in our infographic, “ D Processors: Built for the Network Edge. ”
- Based on Intel internal estimates.
- See  at www.intel.com/processorclaims - Intel® Xeon® D. Results may vary.
Notices & Disclaimers
Performance varies by use, configuration, and other factors. Learn more at www.Intel.com/PerformanceIndex.
Performance results are based on testing as of dates shown in configurations and may not reflect all publicly available updates. See backup for configuration details. No product or component can be absolutely secure.
Your costs and result may vary.
Intel technologies may require enabled hardware, software, or service activation.
©Intel Corporation. Intel, the Intel logo, and other Intel marks are trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries. Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.
You must be a registered user to add a comment. If you've already registered, sign in. Otherwise, register and sign in.