Developing Games on Intel Graphics
If you are gaming on graphics integrated in your Intel Processor, this is the place for you! Find answers to your questions or post your issues with PC games
489 Discussions

82852/855GM Problem with non IEGD driver

Ortwin_A_
Beginner

Hello there,

i hope i found the right place for my question!

We have a legacy gaming platform that uses the Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics on Linux (custom board manufactured by Kontron). The OS we are running on that platform (for ages now) is an old Fedora using the IEGD drivers.

With new displays and new touch screens we are forced to move on: to a new Kernel & Xorg (currently based on 12.04.5 LTS).
I successfully ported most of the stuff we need, the only show stopper remaining is the monitor configuration. 

The open source Intel drivers work well, with one exception: the LVDS port. I can not figure out how to get it working (either clone or dual-head).
I used the configuration from here:
xrandr -q shows that both VGA and LVDS are connected (LVDS is always shown as connected).
xrandr --auto or xrandr --output LVDS1 --right-of VGA1 do not activate the output..
However xrandr -q shows a successful the dual head config.

Everything i tried with the intel driver resulted in the same: No signal on the connected Monitor.
I tried a lot as i googled for the problem, tried different driver versions, all with no result.

At last I use the following kernel parameters to force my way through (still no success):
video=LVDS-1:e drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=edid/1024x768.bin acpi_osi=\"Linux\" i915.modeset=1
with no xorg.conf. 

Using 12.04.5 LTS LTSEnablementStack:
linux-image-generic-lts-trusty (3.13.0.61.68) 
xserver-xorg-lts-trusty (1:7.7+1ubuntu8~precise1)

Is there any way to activate the LVDS port without the IEGD driver? (since v8.1 is the last one that supported the 855 and no option for my kernel/xorg)

I am grateful for any help!
Ortwin 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Chad_V_Intel
Employee

Hi Ortwin, I belong to Intel's Linux graphics team. This forum at software.intel.com targets Intel's Windows and Android drivers. For the opensource Linux drivers, you should send your question to one of the opensource forums.

For LVDS issues, your best option is to contact one of Intel's kernel graphics developers. You can find them on IRC at irc://irc.freenode.net/#intel-gfx and on the mailing list  http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/intel-gfx . (I would help, but I'm not a kernel developer and LVDS is outside my domain).

0 Kudos
Ortwin_A_
Beginner

Hi Chad, many thanks for your reply!

I will take a look at the mailing list and will try my luck in the IRC channel you posted!

br, Ortwin

0 Kudos