Developing Games on Intel Graphics
If you are gaming on graphics integrated in your Intel Processor, this is the place for you! Find answers to your questions or post your issues with PC games
486 Discussions

Allocation of GPU memory

jensmose
Beginner
I work with a windowed application, XP Pro, DirectX 9.0c and a Intel GME 965 chipset.
I use an embedded driver.
I have observed that my DirectX application allocates a big chunk of memory corresponding to the size of the memory reserved for graphics memory. 256 Mbyte in my case.
In very simple DirectX programs that do not use a shader, this block is not allocated.
I do not know if it is the use of a pixel shader that causes the big use of memory,
but can anyone tell me why this big chunk og memory is allocated?
(I can see it when I look at the virtual memory map for the application)
When I run the same application on a system with a NVidia GPU with separate GPU memory, no such block is allocated.

I have come a bit closer now.
It seems that problem comes from using dynamic textures which I need.
The moment I lock / unlock the dynamic texture to change the content,
I get the large memory chunk in virtual address memory space.
Why that?
Is there another method for using dynamic textures?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
jensmose
Beginner
I have found out that it is better to allocate two textures - one in system memory pool and one in the default pool.
Use lock/unlock to put your content in the system memory texture and use UpdateTexture to move the content from
the system memory texture to the default memory texture.

So far so good.

But still some other part of my program causes the driver to use a large part of the user memory space for a copy of the GPU memory. I have not yet found out which part.
Does anyone have any clues?

0 Kudos
Chuck_De_Sylva
Beginner
Quoting - jensmose
I have found out that it is better to allocate two textures - one in system memory pool and one in the default pool.
Use lock/unlock to put your content in the system memory texture and use UpdateTexture to move the content from
the system memory texture to the default memory texture.

So far so good.

But still some other part of my program causes the driver to use a large part of the user memory space for a copy of the GPU memory. I have not yet found out which part.
Does anyone have any clues?

Hmm, do you have a test applet that we can use to check for this? How much memory are you seeing getting allocated by the driver?
0 Kudos
jensmose
Beginner

Hmm, do you have a test applet that we can use to check for this? How much memory are you seeing getting allocated by the driver?

I will try to add the files for a very simple example here.
Set the macro USE_SYSTEM_MEMORY_TEXTURE to 0 or 1 and see the difference.
A 256 MByte memory block is allocated in the user memory space.

I my real code where we both use DirectX and GDI+ it seems like GDI+ also cause the allocation of a 256 Mbyte block.
I have no closer indication yet of which part of GDI+ it is that causes the allocation.

My system is an embedded PC, the screen is in portrait mode 1024*1280.
0 Kudos
Chuck_De_Sylva
Beginner
Quoting - jensmose
I work with a windowed application, XP Pro, DirectX 9.0c and a Intel GME 965 chipset.
I use an embedded driver.
I have observed that my DirectX application allocates a big chunk of memory corresponding to the size of the memory reserved for graphics memory. 256 Mbyte in my case.
In very simple DirectX programs that do not use a shader, this block is not allocated.
I do not know if it is the use of a pixel shader that causes the big use of memory,
but can anyone tell me why this big chunk og memory is allocated?
(I can see it when I look at the virtual memory map for the application)
When I run the same application on a system with a NVidia GPU with separate GPU memory, no such block is allocated.

I have come a bit closer now.
It seems that problem comes from using dynamic textures which I need.
The moment I lock / unlock the dynamic texture to change the content,
I get the large memory chunk in virtual address memory space.
Why that?
Is there another method for using dynamic textures?

Ok, that would be great. With a test applet we can submit it as a direct bug to our driver team. Also, we'll need your system configuration including graphics driver version.
0 Kudos
jensmose
Beginner

Ok, that would be great. With a test applet we can submit it as a direct bug to our driver team. Also, we'll need your system configuration including graphics driver version.

I am still having problems with this.
I changed my code so the all my textures are allocated both in system memory and in default memory. Then I update the textures in system memory (this is done very often) and copy them to default memory with UpdateTexture. This works ok in a test sytem and I avoid that the driver allocatethe huge block of memory.

However when I use the textures in this way, my real application (which is huge and memory hungry) fails at some point where it makes a GetFrontBufferData. There is just an read access to 0x0000000.
Probably DirectX can not allocate enough memory at some point and does not make a proper test before use.
But how can it be that my change with the textures that causes the driver to allocate less memory causes this behaviour?

Chuck - you state I could send you a test applet. I tried to do this long time ago, but I never heard any response. How should I do it to get a response?
0 Kudos
Chuck_De_Sylva
Beginner

Can you just attach in as a .zip? You can send me the password at chuck.v.desylva@intel.com. Then I can uplevel it to our driver teams bug tracker.
0 Kudos
sunlb
Beginner

Can you just attach in as a .zip? You can send me the password at chuck.v.desylva@intel.com. Then I can uplevel it to our driver teams bug tracker.

Thats Great

Suja
------

Managed File Transfer
0 Kudos
jamesmartyn
Beginner
Hi to all,
I just read your post... and the problem which arrise in the GPU memory card for that i have some solution which i want to share with you all so that it helps you to avoid that chuck problem which is not coming in that Nvidia card...
Since I can't get real-time vertex displacement mapping to work on the GPU, I decided to try displacing my vertices by passing object locations to the vertex shader and calculating displacement for each vertex depending on the distance to these objects....Thanks for sharing this information...
0 Kudos
hanratty
Beginner
#include "cuda.h"
#include
#include

#include

#include

#include

#include
#include "CORE_CUDA_2_29.cu" //ATTACHED KERNEL CODE

extern "C"
{
//ROUTINES FOR MEMCOPY

void CUcopyArrayFromDevicefloat_(vec_space* host,vec_space* device,int numComb)
{
cudaMemcpy(host, device, numComb*sizeof(vec_space), cudaMemcpyDeviceToHost); // GPU TO CPU MEMORY COPY

}

void CUcopyArrayToDevicefloatS_(vec_space* device,vec_space* host, int numComb)
{
cudaMemcpy(device, host, numComb*sizeof(vec_space),cudaMemcpyHostToDevice); // CPU TO GPU MEMORY COPY

}
void CUcopyArrayToDevicefloat_(double* device,double* host, int numComb)
{
cudaMemcpy(device, host, numComb*sizeof(double),cudaMemcpyHostToDevice); // CPU TO GPU MEMORY COPY

}

void CUcopyArrayToDeviceint_(int* device,int* host, int numComb)
{
cudaMemcpy(device, host, numComb*sizeof(int),cudaMemcpyHostToDevice); // CPU TO GPU MEMORY COPY
}

// ROUTINES FOR MALLOC
void CUallocaterealarrayssol_(double* arr[0], int numComb) //memory allocation on GPU
{

unsigned int memSize = sizeof(sol_space)*(numComb);
printf("n memsize sol sapce Mb %u n",memSize/(1024*1024));
cudaMalloc((void**)(&arr[0]), memSize);
}

void CUallocaterealarraysS_(double* arr[0], int numComb) //memory allocation on GPU
{

unsigned int memSize = sizeof(vec_space)*(numComb);
printf("n memsize vec sapce Mb %u n",memSize/(1024*1024));
}

void CUallocaterealarraysBS_(double* arr[0], int numComb) //memory allocation on GPU
{

unsigned int memSize = sizeof(BIGspace)*(numComb);
printf("n memsize BIGspace Mb %u n",memSize/(1024*1024));
}

void CUallocaterealarraysB_(double* arr[0], int numComb) //memory allocation on GPU
{

unsigned int memSize = sizeof(Bspace)*(numComb);
printf("n memsize BSpace Mb %u n",memSize/(1024*1024));
}

void CUallocateintarrays_(int* arr[0], int numComb) //memory allocation on GPU for integer arrays
{
unsigned int memSize = sizeof(arr[0])*(numComb);
(cudaMalloc((void**)&arr[0], memSize));

}

// ROUTINES FOR DELETING

void intarrayss_(double* arr[0]) // FREE GPU MEMORY
{
(cudaFree((int**)arr[0]));
}

void CUdeleterealarraysBS_(BIGspace* arr) // FREE GPU MEMORY
{
(cudaFree((void**)arr));
}
void CUdeleterealarraysB_(Bspace* arr) // FREE GPU MEMORY
{
(cudaFree((void**)arr));
}
void CUdeleterealarraysS_(vec_space* arr) // FREE GPU MEMORY
{
(cudaFree((void**)arr));
}
void CUdeleterealarrayssol_(sol_space* arr) // FREE GPU MEMORY
{
(cudaFree((void**)arr));
}
void CUError_(const char *msg) // ERROR CHECKER FOR CUDA
{
cudaError_t err = cudaGetLastError();
if(cudaSuccess !=err)
{
printf("Darn..! CUDA ERROR : %s , %s n",msg, cudaGetErrorString(err));
getchar();
}
}

//void allocate_ARRAYS_GPU(vec_space cpu_space,double* ti, int* space_dim, int* space_len,double* stm)

void allocate_gpu(double* ti,double* ode_b,double* ode_a,double* adds[5],int* len) // 1st routine called from fortran
{
cudaSetDevice(1); // creating context
//set DEVICE tesla 1060

double* ff;
double* gpu_space;
double* tempvar;
double* ypass;
double* sol;

CUallocaterealarraysS_(&gpu_space,1);
CUError_("PROBLEM MEMORY ALLOCATION GPU_SPACE ");

CUallocaterealarraysBS_(&ff,13*258);
CUError_("PROBLEM MEMORY ALLOCATION ff ");

CUallocaterealarraysB_(&tempvar,258);
CUError_("PROBLEM MEMORY ALLOCATION tempvar ");

CUallocaterealarraysB_(&ypass,258);
CUError_("PROBLEM MEMORY ALLOCATION ypass ");

CUallocaterealarrayssol_(&sol,252);
CUError_("PROBLEM MEMORY ALLOCATION solspace ");

cudaMemcpyToSymbol("ti",ti,sizeof(double));
CUError_("PROBLEM WITH CONSTANT MEMORY ALLOCATION 'TI ");

cudaMemcpyToSymbol("b",ode_b,sizeof(double)*13);//set_CUDA_constant_memoryarrayb_("b",ode_b,13);
CUError_("PROBLEM WITH CONSTANT MEMORY ALLOCATION 'b' ");

cudaMemcpyToSymbol("a",ode_a,sizeof(double)*156);//set_CUDA_constant_memoryarraya_("a",ode_a,13*12);
CUError_("PROBLEM WITH CONSTANT MEMORY ALLOCATION 'a' ");

unsigned int mem= sizeof(int)*2+sizeof(double)*(13*12+1+13);
printf("n Total constant memory allocated = %0.9f (kb) n",(double)mem/1024);

*len = N*NumberMblocks/Block_sizeR;

// STORING GPU MEMORY POINTERS TO PASS THEM
adds[0] = gpu_space;
adds[1] = tempvar;
adds[2] = ypass;
adds[3] = ff;
adds[4] = sol;

// WARM UP ROUTINE FOR THE GPU
gpu_ford_phia<<>>((vec_space*)adds[0],(BIGspace*)adds[3],(Bspace*)adds[1]);
CUError_("GPU WARM UP FAILED ");

}

// 2ND ROUTINE CALLED FROM FORTRAN

void calulate_arrays_gpu(double* cpu_space,int* space_len,int* space_dim,double* adds[5],int* update)
{
// add[5] contains the adress of the gpu memory pointers which are obtained from malloc previousl and passed to this routine
int SpaceSize = *space_len;
int upd = *update;

cudaEvent_t start,stop;
cudaMemcpy((vec_space*)adds[0],cpu_space,sizeof(vec_space),cudaMemcpyHostToDevice);
// I Know this blocks the ASYNC execution but only when this function is called again from FORTRAN
// THE code below should return without waitng for the kernels to finish

dim3 dimBlock(Block_size);
dim3 dimBlock2(Block_size2);
dim3 dimBlock3(Block_size3);
dim3 dimBlock4(Block_size4);
dim3 dimBlock5(Block_size5);
dim3 dimBlock6(Block_size6);
dim3 dimBlockR(Block_sizeR);
dim3 dimGrid((int)SpaceSize/Block_size);
dim3 dimGrid2((int)SpaceSize/Block_size2);
dim3 dimGrid3((int)SpaceSize/Block_size3);
dim3 dimGrid5((int)SpaceSize/Block_size5);
dim3 dimGrid4((int)SpaceSize/Block_size4);
dim3 dimGrid6((int)SpaceSize/Block_size5);
dim3 dimGridR((int)SpaceSize/Block_sizeR);

// KERNEL CALLS THEY SHOULD NON-BLOCKING (WELL THEY ARE EXCEPT THE LAST ONE!!) // IF YOU TIME THIS WHOLE ROUTINE WITH THE TWO CULPRIT ROTUINES , MAINLY THE LAST ONE YOU SEE CORRECT
// KERNEL QUESING BUT THESE TWO ROUTINES MESS THINGS UP AND THE CODE RESTURNS TO CPU AFTER WAITING FOR THEM TO FINISH!!

gpu_ford_phia<<>>((vec_space*)adds[0],(BIGspace*)adds[3],(Bspace*)adds[1]);
for(int i=0;i<12;i++)
{
// culprit routine 1 (minor culprit)
gpu_ford_phib<<>>((vec_space*)adds[0],(BIGspace*)adds[3],(Bspace*)adds[2],(Bspace*)adds[1],i); // THIS IS ALSO A CULPRIT but its not as bad
gpu_mtranT_prod<<>>((Bspace*)adds[2],(BIGspace*)adds[3],i);
gpu_T_prodmtran<<>>((Bspace*)adds[2],(BIGspace*)adds[3],i);
gpu_mT_prod<<>>((Bspace*)adds[2],(BIGspace*)adds[3],i);
gpu_ford_phic<<>>((vec_space*)adds[0],(BIGspace*)adds[3],(Bspace*)adds[2],(Bspace*)adds[1],i);
}
//MAJOR CULPRIT ROUTINE.. in which each thread performs reduction on the follwing equation : (Matrix_i)*Tensor_(i+1)*Matrix_i + matrix_(i+1)*tensor_i + matrix_(i+1)*matrix_i!
// i = threadIdx.x and there are 256 threads which reduce the final result to thread 0.
//updd is 0 , 1 , 2 etc depnds on the number of times this whole function is called from fortran
gpu_R<<>>((Bspace*)adds[2], upd*(N/Block_sizeR), (sol_space*)adds[4] ); // THIS IS THE MAJOR CULPRIT

}

// ROUTINES CALLED AFTER THE TIMER
void memcpycu(double* adds[5], double* out){

sol_space* cpuphi=(sol_space*)malloc(252*sizeof(sol_space));
cudaMemcpy(cpuphi,(sol_space*)adds[4],252*sizeof(sol_space), cudaMemcpyDeviceToHost);
CUError_("PROBLEM WITH memcpy ");

}

void deletegpu(double* adds[5])
{
CUdeleterealarraysS_((vec_space*)adds[0]);
CUdeleterealarraysB_((Bspace*)adds[1]);
CUdeleterealarraysB_((Bspace*)adds[2]);
CUdeleterealarraysBS_((BIGspace*)adds[3]);
CUdeleterealarrayssol_((sol_space*)adds[4]);
}
}
0 Kudos