Developing Games on Intel Graphics
If you are gaming on graphics integrated in your Intel Processor, this is the place for you! Find answers to your questions or post your issues with PC games
489 Discussions

Copying of structures

jjfait
Beginner
Hi, I am using legacy fortran code and it seems that TYPE structures are copied in many places using the scheme struct1=struct2. Then pointers are deallocated from struct1 (which are really pointers or copies of pointers of struct2). My question is, is struct1 copied I would think it is just pointed to struct2. This scheme has worked for many years but when calling the fortran dll from c#, i many times seems to get a Attempted to Read or Write Protected Memory error. Any help or advice is appreciated.
Jeremy
0 Kudos
2 Replies
jjfait
Beginner
Maybe this isnt the best explanation so i'll include the code:

module display
use picturedata
type (picture), SAVE :: pic(50), pictemp
end module display

module picturedata
use bitmaptypes
type picture
integer nx,ny
real*4,pointer :: array(:,:)=>Null()
end

Then, the project will use display. Creating pic(2)%array, pic(2)%nx ... and calling pic(1)=pic(2), this seems to copy the structure to pic(1) and then pic(1)%array is deallocated and allocated. This seems to work with the legacy code, but when calling from c# i get the accessing proctected memory.
0 Kudos
Philip_T_Intel1
Employee

Yes, this looks like a shallow copy is done when a deep copy should be performed.

In the debugger, can you verify the addresses in the pic1 struct, validate what is copied into the pic2 struct, and see what addresses the c# code is seeing and faulting on?

0 Kudos