Developing Games on Intel Graphics
If you are gaming on graphics integrated in your Intel Processor, this is the place for you! Find answers to your questions or post your issues with PC games
489 Discussions

Engine for creating a game

Pablo_C_1
Beginner
What is the best engine for creating a simple game for beginner type with features and style goals age of empires but without war ?
0 Kudos
13 Replies
Michael_C_Intel2
Employee

Hi Pablo,

I would suggest Unity as a good place to start. It has a huge development community, tons of support available through fellow users and Unity themselves and costs nothing to download. It's UI is also easy to use and understand.

-Michael

0 Kudos
Ariska_Hidayat
Beginner

Hi Pablo,

I agree with Michael. I Think the best engine for game is unity. Because a lot of free resources and many forums that discuss unity. You can also commercializing a game of unity free.

- Ariska

0 Kudos
Kim_B_1
Beginner

Thanks for opening this topic , i want to know the difference between " Construct " and "Unity"

0 Kudos
Michael_C_Intel2
Employee

Hi Kim,

Construct 2 is a HTML5 game creator designed specifically for 2D games on Mac, Windows, Linux and even WiiU. Unity is full 2D/3D game engine that allows you to make any type of game you want on iOS, Android, Windows and consoles. Both engines do not require coding to create your game.

-Michael

0 Kudos
Hager_R_
Beginner

thanks for asking this question .

0 Kudos
Derp_K_
New Contributor I

I thinks this pic is a good reference for you

0 Kudos
John_T_2
Beginner

Unity is full of recources and it is good for beginners and i would suggest you to go for it.

Thanks 

0 Kudos
John_T_2
Beginner

Derp K. wrote:

I thinks this pic is a good reference for you

THis pic is good but if you are really a beginner i would suggest you to go for game salad.

0 Kudos
Auzi_Asfarian
Beginner

I will recommend Unity, but Construct 2 also easy to use if you are new to game development. Derp K picture is very good comparison.

If you want to create more serious game with heavy graphics, you can try Unreal Engine 4. 

0 Kudos
Mario_Alejandro
Beginner

If you want to create a simple game, Construct 2 or GameSalad is a good choice for starters (from my own experience). There's another good engine called GameBuilderStudio, free if you want to create web or flash games. It has many useful features, useful for newbies, but it also includes its own plugins, so you can code if you want to extend the possibilities.

Unity could be a good choice as well, personally I don't like it a lot; perhaps because I haven't used it enough, haha.

Anyway, all depends on what you want to create, as some engines are good for certain game genres, and some other genres could be easier or harder to make with certain engines. But generally speaking, Construct 2 and Unity are good enough for any kind of project; the big plus of Unity is that you can create 3D games too, something which is almost impossible to do in Construct 2.

0 Kudos
Adam_A_
Innovator

If you want to create a game like age of empire, i think it's best for you to use Unity Engine. And you also mentioned for beginner, Unity has a great community and a lot of resources for you to learn. I think it suites you the best with your dream project to make. but i also suggest to learn form the basic. Try to make a simple game first until you go to a big-scale-game such as Age of Empire. Wishing you all the best :)

0 Kudos
Spyro_Merianos
Beginner

Hey,

In Game Development there isn't any Engine that is the "best" for any type of game. Each one has it's Pros and Cons and you must choose one based on what are your specific needs. If you are a beginner, then you might want to look into an engine that supports Drag & Drop features as the scripting languages can be overwhelming when it comes to developing games with no prior experience. You should develop a very simple game first and then start with more feature-complex games as you learn the engine/scripting language, else you might not complete the game at all.

As a last note, I recommend starting with simple hi-score games with limited features, because an "Age of Empires" type of game is more complex than it seems, when it comes to developing it with no prior experience. 

For a list of Game Engines, you can check the following link on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_game_engines
You can also use Intel XDK but I recommend having some experience first with other Drag & Drop engines: https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-xdk

0 Kudos
Sahan_K_
Beginner

hi 

the best and simplest engine that can work very easy is spark.tools no cording and can do 3d n 2d here is the link

http://spark.tools/

0 Kudos