Developing Games on Intel Graphics
If you are gaming on graphics integrated in your Intel Processor, this is the place for you! Find answers to your questions or post your issues with PC games
489 Discussions

GL_MAX_UNIFORM_BLOCK_SIZE's value in HD4000 GPUs

dark_sylinc
Beginner

It has drawn my attention that GL_MAX_UNIFORM_BLOCK_SIZE returns 16kb for all Intel cards, even with the latest drivers. This is the minimum required by the GL spec.

DX11 guarantees 64kb of constant buffer size, which is why I find it odd that the GL driver decides to inform 16kb as the UBO size when most likely the hardware can use at least 64kb as well.

Is there a reason for this choice?

Either the DX11 implementation uses some workaround to support 64kb when the hardware can actually only use 16kb efficiently, or this is just an overlook from the GL driver (or a misinterpretation of the spec).

My guess is that all of the Intel HD cards actually support 64kb. Hence I'm here asking the question :)

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Mitchell_L_Intel
Employee

I believe Mike is looking into this question for you.

~Mitch

0 Kudos
Michael_C_Intel2
Employee

I am investigating this, hope to have an answer for you soon.

0 Kudos
Michael_C_Intel2
Employee

Hi Matias,

It has taken some but I have more information for you, our OpenGL development team investigated this and and are in the process increasing the block size from 16kb to 64kb. It will be in a future driver release. I am not sure which one yet, I will let you know when I find out.

-Michael

0 Kudos
dark_sylinc
Beginner

Hi Michael!

Thanks! That is awesome!

So it probably was some oversight or driver quirk. I'm happy to hear you'll be increasing the value to 64kb.

0 Kudos