Developing Games on Intel Graphics
If you are gaming on graphics integrated in your Intel Processor, this is the place for you! Find answers to your questions or post your issues with PC games

How to detect Intel Processor Graphics with OpenGL?

Lars_B_
Beginner

Hi,

this article

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/sharing-surfaces-between-opencl-and-opengl-43-on-intel-processor-graphics-using-implicit

suggests that PBO's should not be used on Intel Processor Graphics for texture creation, at least when the texture should be shared with OpenCL.

My understanding that this is also true when not using OpenCL, but for all OpenGL usages here.

The usual way to use PBO's is to check for Pixel_Buffer_Object and then just use GL_PIXEL_UNPACK_BUFFER accordingly.

So for Processor Graphics this should not be used after all - what is the preferred way to detect this situation? Check for the GL_RENDERER string (and if that contains "Intel" do not use PBO's)?

I would have hoped that this situation is more explicit by checking for another extension or a capability?

Thanks for any hints here,

Lars

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Michael_C_Intel2
Employee

Hi Lars,

I am researching your question and should have answer for you soon.

-Michael

0 Kudos
Lars_B_
Beginner

Hi Michael,

any news on this topic?

Regards,

Lars

0 Kudos
steve_m_1
Beginner

Doesn't matter where I look it only says Video Card: "Intel(R) HD Graphics". I tried finding specifics with EVEREST too but to no avail.

This is everything the steam system information says about it, but I still don't know if I can update to OpenGL 3.2 or not:

Driver: Intel(R) HD Graphics

DirectX Driver Name: igdumdx32.dll
Driver Version: 8.15.10.2189
DirectX Driver Version: 8.15.10.2189
Driver Date: 28 July 2010
OpenGL Version: 2.1
Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
DirectX Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
VendorID: 0x8086
DeviceID: 0x46
Number of Monitors: 1
Number of Logical Video Cards: 1
No SLI or Crossfire Detected
Primary Display Resolution: 1366 x 768
Desktop Resolution: 1366 x 768
Primary Display Size: 18.98" x 10.67" (21.73" diag)
48.2cm x 27.1cm (55.2cm diag)
Primary Bus Type Not Detected
Primary VRAM: -1350 MB
Supported MSAA Modes Not Detected

If I try using the Intel Driver Update Utility it says I have a custom driver which should not be updated but in the "Master List of Darkest Dungeon Fixes" thread they say the update utility is unreliable so I should be doing it manually in the Download Center but there it requires more informations.   Android training in chennai  | Software Testing Training in Chennai

0 Kudos
Michael_C_Intel2
Employee

Hi Steve,

The reason DXDiag is reporting the graphics as "Intel(R) HD Graphics" is the age of the product. You are running on graphics from ~5 years ago, in that time frame we had 1 graphics GPU vs the multiple SKUs we have now. Thus the single name "Intel(R) HD Graphics". The driver you have is the most recent and last planned build for the SKU. If you run Windows 8 or 10 the built in driver should support your graphics but the OpenGL support will not change.

-Michael

0 Kudos
Lars_B_
Beginner

Hi,

seems my topic was hijacked. :)

The original question, which still is not answered publicly:

So for Processor Graphics this should not be used after all - what is the preferred way to detect this situation? Check for the GL_RENDERER string (and if that contains "Intel" do not use PBO's)?

Through private mail I got the answer that I should check for cl_khr_gl_sharing and if that is present, do not use PBOs.

Is this then the preferred way?

Regards,

Lars

0 Kudos