Developing Games on Intel Graphics
If you are gaming on graphics integrated in your Intel Processor, this is the place for you! Find answers to your questions or post your issues with PC games
489 Discussions

Of all people Intel!!! DSA FAIL!!!

Chuter44
Novice

Well can't find "Driver Support Assistant"  on that list and don't have all day to look for it.

There is no question I am just here to tell you that it is JUNK!

Had it installed for the longest time and all of a sudden a few days ago my video game starts dropping from 185 to 30 FPS about every 90 seconds. Started blaming the game and then realized it was DSA. in the task manager. Like it was trying to connect or scan every 90 secs. and couldn't so it was spiking a i7-7700k CPU. to almost %100 for a few seconds causing lag spikes. Of all companies Intel really!!!??? Running back ground processes causing this while the app. was actually closed and not in my task manager either. In 2020 this is SUPER fail boat. Trust lost, program un-installed for ever. Lost a day of my life solving this so super pissed about your failure here. This is horrible application design!!! Gonna stop here since I am still in shock and rage mode and can't say how I really feel or this will just get deleted.  

1 Solution
MaryT_Intel
Employee

Hi Chuter44,

First, I apologize for the problems you encountered. I am sure that must have really been a headache and annoying. In short, we identified this issue a few days ago, implemented a resolution, and it is now being deployed so you shouldn't have that issue going forward.

DSA is supposed to only check for updates once a day, and it does this in the background so as not to disturb customers but to notify them sooner. Customers do have the ability to turn off the notifications in the Settings. Unfortunately we had a server down that caused this issue. It is up now but is taking time to propagate globally. 

Thank you for reaching out to us and again I apologize for the issues it caused you and so many others.

Thanks,

Mary T.

Support Community Manager

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MaryT_Intel
Employee

Hi Chuter44,

First, I apologize for the problems you encountered. I am sure that must have really been a headache and annoying. In short, we identified this issue a few days ago, implemented a resolution, and it is now being deployed so you shouldn't have that issue going forward.

DSA is supposed to only check for updates once a day, and it does this in the background so as not to disturb customers but to notify them sooner. Customers do have the ability to turn off the notifications in the Settings. Unfortunately we had a server down that caused this issue. It is up now but is taking time to propagate globally. 

Thank you for reaching out to us and again I apologize for the issues it caused you and so many others.

Thanks,

Mary T.

Chuter44
Novice

List'n it's all good. **bleep** happens.

I was upset when posting.

Thanks for replying and that's kinda what I assumed happened.

One question if you can,.... so I don't need it open in the tray ever unless I wanna manually check or use it's features? It's always going to notify me either way of new drivers within a day your saying?

Rob.

0 Kudos
MaryT_Intel
Employee

Hi @Chuter44 ,

You are correct - as long as your IDSA notification settings are set to Daily, Weekly or Monthly, you will be notified of any new drivers without opening the Tray icon.   Additionally you can hover over the tray icon and inspect the color of the notification on the IDSA tray icon: red means there are updates available, green means you are all up to date and good to go.

I hope that helps and again I apologize for the issues this caused. Have a good weekend,

Mary T.

Chuter44
Novice

Honestly I didn't un-install it either. I just killed the process tree and waited until I heard it was fixed lol.

0 Kudos