Developing Games on Intel Graphics
If you are gaming on graphics integrated in your Intel Processor, this is the place for you! Find answers to your questions or post your issues with PC games
490 Discussions

OpenGL: GL_SELECTION render mode returns wrong Z-Values with Intel 915GM and drivers 7.14.10.4764

delle
Beginner
Hi, when I use the Selection Buffer in OpenGL I get wrong values for fields "Minimum depth value of primitives" and "Maximum depth value of primitives" (See Selection Buffer in OpenGL section 20.020).

This only with Driver 7.14.10.4764, Driver 4.14.10.4363 works fine.

In particular I get the value "2147483648" (0x80000000) for zMin and zMax for all primitives (always the same value).

With the old driver (4.14.10.4363) and other Cards (NVidia and ATI) my Program gets the correct results.

There is some new driver that I can use that correct this?

Regards

A. Delle
0 Kudos
33 Replies
musher
Beginner
Hi everyone,

We are encountering this same problem (Z value of 2147483648 when using the OpenGL GL_SELECTION render mode) on several different Intel mobile GPU's (915GM, 945GM, GM965, GM45). We haven't experienced it on any desktop chip yet. I find it quite concerning that Intel haven't addressed a fundamental bug in their mobile drivers. A large proportion of notebooks are powered by integrated Intel chips and this bug means that these are not suitable for our software product.

Surely someone from Intel is aware of the issue?

I have tried the most recent driver I can get for all of the notebooks, and apart from fixing a framebuffer related bug, this issue is still being exhibited.

Any feedback or suggestions?

Thanks
Grant
0 Kudos
delacy__david
Beginner
Quoting - musher
Hi everyone,

We are encountering this same problem (Z value of 2147483648 when using the OpenGL GL_SELECTION render mode) on several different Intel mobile GPU's (915GM, 945GM, GM965, GM45). We haven't experienced it on any desktop chip yet. I find it quite concerning that Intel haven't addressed a fundamental bug in their mobile drivers. A large proportion of notebooks are powered by integrated Intel chips and this bug means that these are not suitable for our software product.

Surely someone from Intel is aware of the issue?

I have tried the most recent driver I can get for all of the notebooks, and apart from fixing a framebuffer related bug, this issue is still being exhibited.

Any feedback or suggestions?

Thanks
Grant

just send me the test case ill get them to fix it
dave@ixpres.com
im not waiting too long on this
0 Kudos
musher
Beginner
Quoting - beerandcandy
dave@ixpres.com

Wow, what a lovely polite and accomodating response.

Back on topic:

With the future deprecation of the selection render mode in OpenGL 3.0 and the lack of support we have had from Intel we decided to change our object selection algorithm. Fortunately our model allows us this opportunity.

We are stil however recommending that our clients purchase hardware with non-Intel GPU's as the number of issues we have experienced with Intel graphics hardware and drivers is unacceptable.

Cheers
Grant

0 Kudos
delacy__david
Beginner
Quoting - musher

Wow, what a lovely polite and accomodating response.

Back on topic:

With the future deprecation of the selection render mode in OpenGL 3.0 and the lack of support we have had from Intel we decided to change our object selection algorithm. Fortunately our model allows us this opportunity.

We are stil however recommending that our clients purchase hardware with non-Intel GPU's as the number of issues we have experienced with Intel graphics hardware and drivers is unacceptable.

Cheers
Grant

seems like you dont want it fixed
i dont work for intel
i could probably get them to fix it i just dont have enough information if you post more information maybe intel would reply but you are too vague
or post a test app that shows the issue
0 Kudos
delle
Beginner
Quoting - beerandcandy

dave@ixpres.com

Hi Dave, find the word "picking.zip" in this thread, you will find a link to a simple test case (a zip file containing a full visual studio project that reproduces the problem).

This test case was posted six month ago...

:-(
0 Kudos
delacy__david
Beginner
Quoting - delle

Hi Dave, find the word "picking.zip" in this thread, you will find a link to a simple test case (a zip file containing a full visual studio project that reproduces the problem).

This test case was posted six month ago...

:-(
oh i read that and didnt even notice it was a link lol
ill build it and mess with it

thanks
0 Kudos
delle
Beginner
Quoting - beerandcandy
oh i read that and didnt even notice it was a link lol
ill build it and mess with it

thanks

Hi Dave, any news on this topic?

Thank you

Delle
0 Kudos
delacy__david
Beginner
Quoting - delle

Hi Dave, any news on this topic?

Thank you

Delle

i think its going to be fixed
just not on old platforms
might be fixed on old platforms just on win 7
0 Kudos
delle
Beginner
Quoting - beerandcandy

i think its going to be fixed
just not on old platforms
might be fixed on old platforms just on win 7

In my case I have a "Intel 965GM" under Windows XP... It's old or new this platform?

Any chance to see the patch so I can use my (not so) new Laptop for the first time, with my Application? I currently use the old Laptop (915 GM with an old driver)

A year have passed since I've bought it and there is still no way to use it under OpenGL: I cannot select objects that overlap with the correct order, they are selected in a random manner :-(((

Thank you

Delle
0 Kudos
delle
Beginner
Quoting - delle

In my case I have a "Intel 965GM" under Windows XP... It's old or new this platform?

Any chance to see the patch so I can use my (not so) new Laptop for the first time, with my Application? I currently use the old Laptop (915 GM with an old driver)

A year have passed since I've bought it and there is still no way to use it under OpenGL: I cannot select objects that overlap with the correct order, they are selected in a random manner :-(((

Thank you

Delle

Up!
0 Kudos
indoshowroom
Beginner
Interesting issue.. thanks delle..
0 Kudos
delle
Beginner
UPDATE:

Searching for a new driver I've found this:

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver Version 14.37.1.5029 for XP

Reading into Release Notes I've found this:

Issues Resolved

A 3D object is not picked up as expected after clicking on the 3D object.

OpenGL*

Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family
Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family

I'll try these Drivers this evening since I'm still using the old laptop in my office due to this bug... ;-)

Best regards

Delle

================================================

EDIT: It finally works!!!!

Thank you Intel!

Delle
0 Kudos
francisconoriega
Beginner
Quoting - delle
UPDATE:

Searching for a new driver I've found this:

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver Version 14.37.1.5029 for XP

Reading into Release Notes I've found this:

Issues Resolved

A 3D object is not picked up as expected after clicking on the 3D object.

OpenGL*

Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family
Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family

I'll try these Drivers this evening since I'm still using the old laptop in my office due to this bug... ;-)

Best regards

Delle

================================================

EDIT: It finally works!!!!

Thank you Intel!

Delle

Hi,

Is there any plans to do this update for
945 Express Chipset Family? ?? In our company we use DELL laptops and I just bought a netbook HP and it happens to have the same one. It would be a shame to forget a good share of the market, specially if you already know how to fix it.

Thank you.

0 Kudos