Developing Games on Intel Graphics
If you are gaming on graphics integrated in your Intel Processor, this is the place for you! Find answers to your questions or post your issues with PC games
486 Discussions

OpenGL vertex buffer object woes

Mauro_Persano
Beginner
Hello,

I'm working on a game for the Intel Game Demo Contest. I'm using OpenGL.

I've recently updated the code to use vertex buffer objects (I was using vertex arrays previously). With the nVidia and ATI cards that I tested, my code works fine. However, I'm having problems running it with an Intel 965Q. Under Windows XP, the code crashes if I use glMapBufferARB. Under Linux, with the DRI drivers, the code doesn't crash, but code that uses indexed data (glDrawElements) simply doesn't display anything (the code that uses glDrawArray seems to work).

There's a possibility that I'm doing something wrong and the nVidia/ATI drivers are just more forgiving than the Intel ones, but my code is pretty straightforward - it's straight out of the GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object specification.

Are there known issues with the vertex buffer objects support on Intel, with OpenGL?

I'm almost going back to vertex arrays...

Thank you,

Mauro
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Chris_M_Intel
Employee

Mauro,

There's probably something being done wrong in your usage. The Linux and Windows drivers are done by two seperate teams, pretty much independent of each other. If they're both showing problems with your application, it's more likely to be an app issue than a problem in each driver. Under Linux, you ought to be able to use Mesa with no HW acceleration and see if it works... that might help narrow down the problem as well.

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
Mauro_Persano
Beginner
Everything works fine with Mesa. In fact, I originally developed the code with Mesa, on a workstation without 3d acceleration, and subsequently tested it at home on nVidia, and in a laptop with ATI. Everything worked fine, except on Intel.

Here's a bit of code that crashes, straight out of the game source code:

glBindBufferARB(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, ribbon_vertex_vbo_id);
glBindBufferARB(GL_ELEMENT_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, ribbon_quad_vbo_id);
glVertexPointer(3, GL_FLOAT, sizeof *vertices, &((struct vertex *)NULL).position);

glNormalPointer(GL_FLOAT, sizeof *vertices, &((struct vertex *)NULL).normal);
glTexCoordPointer(2, GL_FLOAT, sizeof *vertices, &((struct vertex *)NULL).texuv[0]);

glEnableClientState(GL_VERTEX_ARRAY);
glEnableClientState(GL_NORMAL_ARRAY);
glEnableClientState(GL_TEXTURE_COORD_ARRAY);

gl_vertices = (struct vertex *)glMapBufferARB(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB,
GL_READ_WRITE_ARB);

if (gl_vertices) {
initialize_outer_ribbon_vertices(gl_vertices, x_offset);

if (glUnmapBufferARB(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB)) {
glDrawElements(GL_QUADS, NUM_OUTER_RIBBON_INDICES, GL_UNSIGNED_INT, 0);
}
}

glDisableClientState(GL_TEXTURE_COORD_ARRAY);
glDisableClientState(GL_VERTEX_ARRAY);
glDisableClientState(GL_NORMAL_ARRAY);

Behavior on Intel/Windows XP: the second time glMapBufferARB is called, it returns NULL (that's why I added the test in the code). After a couple of frames, the application crashes.

Behavior on Intel/Linux: doesn't crash, but doesn't display anything.

In fact, I have written a self-contained application that displays a single quad and crashes on Windows XP, with Intel. I can produce the code if there's any interest.

I won't rule out the possibility that there's something wrong with the application code, but I'm finding that increasingly unlikely. I've spoken with other developers that faced the same sort of problems. I'm going back to vertex arrays.
0 Kudos
Chris_M_Intel
Employee

Mauro,

If you've got a little app that can demonstrate this on Windows, send it on over! Essentially, if I can get a test case to show the driver developers that something wrong, the easier it is to get a fix.

Chris

0 Kudos
crazybutcher
Beginner
I ran into issues with VBOs as well. When paired with display list rendering, VBOs crash. (code works fine on mesa, ati, nvidia). I dont map buffers but buffersub the data. And it renders fine, as long as certain display lists arent rendered in same frame. i915GM (Asus EEE 900)

Will see if I can get more information / repro case out of it.
0 Kudos
Greg1
Beginner
Just wanted to say that we also are having problems with vertex buffer objects and the Intel graphics driver. The same code works with NVidia and ATI drivers on Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X, so we're pretty sure that it's Intel's fault. The bug is still there in the 7.15.10.1545 driver.
0 Kudos