Developing Games on Intel Graphics
If you are gaming on graphics integrated in your Intel Processor, this is the place for you! Find answers to your questions or post your issues with PC games
486 Discussions

Reproducible display driver crash on G41 express chipsets

erikrufelt
Beginner
I have a problem with a geometry shader that crashes the display driver on Win7 64-bit, using D3D11 feature level 10.0, from a 32-bit application.
Display driver version: 15.17.17.64.2413 (Also confirmed on older driver 15.17.15.64.2281)
Chipset: G41 Express chipset. The crash has been confirmed on multiple hardware with the same chipset.

The same shader works fine on a laptop with GMA 965 graphics and Vista32, as well as on multiple other 32 and 64 bit systems with different driver versions and GPU manufacturers.

The crash occurs when issuing a Draw command with the particular geometry shader set on the D3D11 immediate context.
In addition, the crash only occurs if the shader code is compiled with optimization, and the output is correct if the shader is created from code compiled with the D3DCOMPILE_SKIP_OPTIMIZATION flag.
All compilation is done at runtime on the system in question right before using the shader.
DirectX SDK June 2010.

No warnings are reported.

The crash is also avoided if any of the two texture-buffer Loads is replaced with a constant in the HLSL code (which of course causes incorrect output, but the shader runs without crashing).

I attach the shader code, a standalone C++ sample which runs and crashes, as well as dxdiag output and the compiled ASM from optimized and unoptimized compilation.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Deepak_V_Intel
Employee
Thank youfor bringing this to our notice. We are trying to replicate this issue with the drivers you mentioned. Could you let us know if this persists in the latest driver, 15.22.50.64.2509?
0 Kudos
erikrufelt
Beginner
That driver fails to install on the system in question as it does not meet the minimum hardware requirements. I am testing on a G41 Express chipset, and the latest driver I can find on the Intel Download Center is now 15.17.18.64.2555 with release date 10/19/2011.

I get the same crash and symptoms with this newest driver.
0 Kudos
Deepak_V_Intel
Employee

Hello,

Thanks for the update and trying to see if the latest drivers fixed the issue. Would it be possible to provide crash dump files so that we can figure out if the driver is crashing or if a hardware hang is occurring and the GPU is getting reset.

Driver crash:

If its a crash, there should be a windows message box saying this application has been forced to close. In that case, it should be possible to get a .dmp file following the steps below:

1.Create the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps

2.Create a DWORD called DumpType and set it to 1 for a minidump (smaller file size) or 2 for a full dump (much larger file size)

3.The dump file will be saved in the %LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps folder.

4.Open the .dmp file with Windbg and type !analyze -v and start looking at the failing callstack.

Details can be found here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb787181%28v=VS.85%29.aspx

Hardware hang:

If the GPU is hanging and getting reset, you should get a popup in the windows taskbar (attached). In that case, please send us any .dmp files that exist in the C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports\WATCHDOG\ folder.

0 Kudos
erikrufelt
Beginner
I get the hardware hang error. If I run with a D3D11 debug device I get a debug message saying the device has been lost because the driver hung or took too long to respond.

I attach a crash dump I got today, using the 15.17.18.64.2555 drivers.
0 Kudos
dofdiamond
Beginner
Thanks for nice reply its really useful for newbie here like me.
0 Kudos