Developing Games on Intel Graphics
If you are gaming on graphics integrated in your Intel Processor, this is the place for you! Find answers to your questions or post your issues with PC games

Touch gestures

Johan_W_
Beginner

Hello,

I have an issue regarding one of Intel's sample applications:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/sample-application-touch-for-desktop

When swiping with two fingers in a diagonal direction, the rectangle in the application does not immediately follow that diagonal path.

I know there are newer working code examples available for Windows 8, but I need a solution that also works with Windows 7.

I would be thankful for any help! Or how can I get in contact with the author?

Best wishes

Johan

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Bradley_W_Intel
Employee

Johan, thank you for your interest in the code sample. I'll try to track down the author to connect with you directly. In the meantime, take a look at another touch code sample at https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2013/03/06/real-time-strategy-game-with-touch-screen that may be a good fit for your needs.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Bradley_W_Intel
Employee

Johan, thank you for your interest in the code sample. I'll try to track down the author to connect with you directly. In the meantime, take a look at another touch code sample at https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2013/03/06/real-time-strategy-game-with-touch-screen that may be a good fit for your needs.

0 Kudos
Johan_W_
Beginner

Hi Brad,

Thank you for the touch code sample. It works fine to swipe diagonally with two fingers (after some minor changes to the code).

The difference is that the sample you referred to handles WM_TOUCH messages instead of WM_GESTURE. I'm still curious why it doesn't work with gestures, so please let me know if you're able to track down the author.

0 Kudos
Thomas_E_Intel
Employee

Hi Johan,

I'm not sure why it's not working with the two-fingered diagonal swipe.  It's possible that it could be interpreting the touch input as a different gesture than you're expecting.  I'd recommend putting debug print statements into the gesture handling code so that you can determine exactly which gesture message is being sent to the application when you do your swipe.  It could be that Microsoft's code that takes your touch input and translates it into the specific gesture messages isn't processing it as you'd expect.  If it is sending the proper gesture message to the app, then it's possible that you've found a corner case where the sample app isn't correctly processing diagonal movement.  Please let us know what you find and/or if you need additional help debugging the behavior. 

Thanks,

-Gideon

0 Kudos
Johan_W_
Beginner

Thanks for the suggestions, Gideon. I thought along the same lines, so I already tried tracing the messages.

However, I found out that there is a flag "GC_PAN_WITH_GUTTER" that causes perpendicular movement limitations. It seems that such a configuration is enabled by default.

Best wishes

Johan

0 Kudos