Developing Games on Intel Graphics
If you are gaming on graphics integrated in your Intel Processor, this is the place for you! Find answers to your questions or post your issues with PC games
489 Discussions

Which programming Language?

larrsmith07
Beginner
Good day!,

Hello there good day to all of us!!..i just want to ask which programming language should I use and focus on,..because I am currently a student!,.. and i want to know which is better and the most commonly used language,.. pls help me!.,your replies are much appreciated..thanks in advance :)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
delle
Beginner
In my case, I develop with OpenGL, I mainly use Delphi but sometime I use C/C++ too.

If you already know C/C++ I suggeggest them.

I don't like .NET because I prefer to have the control of bits....

Delle
0 Kudos
Doraisamy_G_Intel

It all depends on what you are working on.

In the current visual computing arena, and specifically PC games, the most common language is C++ and the most common rendering API is DirectX. Most high end games also use a LOT of scripts written in a language called Lua.

0 Kudos
Philip_T_Intel1
Employee
PC development is done in native code ( C/C++ ) or managed code ( Java/C# )

Handheld development ( smartphones ) is done in Java/C# ( Android/WinMo7 ) or Objective-C ( iPad/iPhone/iPod )

cross-platform 3D rendering is really only possible via OGL. base OGL runs on desktops ( Windows, Mac, Linux ), OGL ES runs on handhelds ( Android, iPhone ) and pseudo-OGL is used on PS3 and Wii. Android has a "native" binding for OGL ES to avoid some of the perf cost with managed code.

using XNA gets you D3D9 level support on PC/XBox/WinMo7. Using D3D lets you target Windows.

You should have a target environment in mind and pick accordingly.
0 Kudos