Developing Games on Intel Graphics
If you are gaming on graphics integrated in your Intel Processor, this is the place for you! Find answers to your questions or post your issues with PC games

wglRestoreBufferRegionARB very slow

ATrav1
Beginner

Hi!

Has anyone had problems with the wglRestoreBufferRegionARB function?

My users are reporting problems of slowness in the drawing of my software in recent times. All of them use integrated Intel HD graphics (with old cards to 4000 family) in Windows, of course. I think it has to do with some bug of the driver of the latest versions.

My software has been used this extension for years and now I have found that in old cards with Intel HD there are calls that take a long time to run (for example, 4000 milliseconds!).

I have checked that there is no problem with the handle that uses the function (for example, that it is corrupted for some reason), but everything seems to be fine. The strange thing is that the problem stops manifesting when doing some log of the type OutputDebugString.

Can someone help me with this topic?

Regards,

Angel

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Michael_C_Intel2
Employee

Have you tried the latest driver that support the HD 4000 family? https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27417/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-33-

Unfortunately these older generations are not actively supported, meaning if it is a driver issue it is not something we can get a driver fix released for. 

0 Kudos
ATrav1
Beginner

Hi.

We have long-standing customers who are using that old video card without problems, until in August of last year a Windows update changed the driver and problems started. The problem is not that the video card is old, but the problem is that Intel has filtered a new bug. The solution at that time was to rollback the driver (which shows that it is a "new" problem, which did not exist before).
But the issue does not end there. Now we are having the same problem with other families of boards, such as the HD Graphics 630. When this happens, the protocol is to download the last driver (which sometimes is not the one that Windows Update installs) and if that does not fix it, we download old drivers until the problem stops manifesting. But every time Windows makes an Update, the problem can resurface.

The best that Intel could do is stop updating these old boards, so it does not keep making new bugs!!, please.

0 Kudos