Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems
845 Discussions

82574 Bridge detected as 0000

AdeJa1
Beginner

We have developed a product that hosts an Atom E3805, the Intel 82574 ethernet controller and an i210 Ethernet controller. On one specific instance of our product the 82574 ethernet stopped working during general use and when running lspci we get the following output: 

eth1.png

Instead of reporting that Bus 03 is connected to an Intel 82574 ethernet controller it is reported as 0000. When running eeupdate we get the following output:

eth1x.jpg

Bus 03 is not recognized as an Intel 82574 ethernet controller. We have over 40 of these units and this is the first time we see this behavior. 

So the question: What would cause the bridge to be recognized as “0000” and not a 82574? Keeping in mind that it worked 100% before and just suddenly stopped working.

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @AdeJa1​:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

Could you please let us know the changes that you have made previous to the affected design fails?

How many units are failing? By the way, please list the sources that you have used to design the affected project if it has been verified by Intel?

Could you please provide pictures of the top side markings of the affected 82574 Ethernet Controllers?

We are waiting for your answer to these questions.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos
AdeJa1
Beginner

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

1. We haven't made any changes to the design. The unit that failed is exactly the same configuration as functional units.
  2. We are only experiencing this problem on a single unit. It used to work and stopped working without any changes.
  3. The design wasn't verified by Intel. We followed the datasheet and it works on at least 40 units. Would a review by intel be possible?
  4. I will upload this tomorrow.

Regards,

A

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @AdeJa1​:

Thanks for your update.

In case that you want to request a full schematics and layout review of your design, please follow the procedure stated in the following website:

https://edc.intel.com/Tools/Design-Review/Default.aspx

By the way, could you please clarify if this situation happens on a specific Operating System (OS) or various? please provide the information of the Operating Systems (version, manufacturer, kernel, and other details) associated to this situation.

We are waiting for your answer to this question and the requested picture.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos
AdeJa1
Beginner

Hi,

Thanks for the info on the schematic review - will do that in parallel. I've attached the image of the top side of the component.

The problem happens on Debian 9 using the 4.9.76 kernel (i686).

Regards,

A

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @AdeJa1​:

Thanks for your update.

Could you please verify if the problem persists when you use any of the following Operating Systems?

Windows* 2000

Windows Server* 2003

Windows Server* 2008

Windows XP* (Service Pack 2 or 3)

Windows Vista*

RHEL* 4.6

RHEL* 5.1

Linux* Kernel version 2.6.24 or higher

Linux* Kernel version 2.4.36.2 or higher

SLES* 9 SP4

SLES* 10 SP1

DOS-NDIS2*

FreeBSD* 7.0

SCO OpenServer 6/Unixware* 7.1.x

Novell Netware* 6.5

Windows* CE

Windows XP Embedded

KITL

We are waiting for your confirmation.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos
AdeJa1
Beginner

Hi,

Our current system already uses a Linux kernel version higher than the ones specified in the list above (4.9.76) and it has been running fine over 4 years on at least 40 units. This is the first time we have experienced this problem.

Given some more testing on our side I'd like to focus on the EEPROM attached to the bridge. When we unsoldered the EEPROM (AT25256B) attached to the bridge on the affected board, it was detected again as 82574L using lspci-k (and eeupdate32). We have not yet confirmed whether the EEPROM is physically broken or if the contents were only corrupted. We will confirm this on Monday by attempting to wipe the original EEPROM and replacing it on the board.

1. Have you ever had instances of corrupt EEPROM when using this bridge?
  2. What write transactions are issued by the bridge after initial programming of the EEPROM? Is wear a problem? The unit is not our oldest and was produced in December 2018.
  3. Can you confirm that the AT25256B is compatible with the bridge?

Regards,

A

0 Kudos
AdeJa1
Beginner

@Mæcenas_INTEL​  Hi, do you have any feedback on the observation above?

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @AdeJa1​:

Thanks for your replies.

Could you please swap the faulty device with a functional one and let us know the results?

We are waiting for your reply.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos
AdeJa1
Beginner

Hi @Mæcenas_INTEL​ ,

We swopped the EEPROM with a new part and the bridge now functions as it should. We have not installed the old EEPROM on another board to check if it still functions.

We have not replaced the bridge.

Regards,

A

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @AdeJa1​:

Thanks for your clarification.

It seems that the problem is the swapped device. Due to this fact, we suggest contact the manufacturer to find the root cause of this problem.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos
AdeJa1
Beginner

Hi @Mæcenas_INTEL​ 

I installed the original EEPROM on a test board and tested the EEPROM through several wipe/read/write/read cycles. Electrically it works 100%.

I've attached the contents of the EEPROM (before I wiped it). Can you please confirm whether this image is valid for the controller (ie. is anything corrupted).

Also, can you please provide feedback on my questions from earlier in this thread:

1. Have you ever had instances of corrupt EEPROM when using this ethernet controller?
  2. What write transactions are issued by the ethernet controller after initial programming of the EEPROM?
  3. Can you confirm that the AT25256B is compatible with the ethernet controller?

Regards,

A

0 Kudos
AdeJa1
Beginner

Hi @Mæcenas_INTEL​ ,

Any feedback on the above? Is there perhaps a more direct Intel support channel I can get in touch with?

Regards,

A

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @AdeJa1​:

Thanks for your replies.

The list of the compatible EEPROMs with the Intel(R) 82574 Gigabit Ethernet Controller [Hartwell] can be found in Table 26, on page 54 of the Intel(R) 82574 GbE Controller Family Datasheet document # 317694.

It is important to let you know that the questions related to the replacement, compatibility, or issues of the listed third-party devices should be addressed to their manufacturers.

The Hartwell Datasheet can be found when you are logged into your Resource & Design Center (RDC) privileged account at the following website:

http://www.intel.com/cd/edesign/library/asmo-na/eng/513655.htm 

The RDC Account Support form is the channel to process your account update request or solve any inconvenience with the cited website. It can be found at:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/forms/design/contact-support.html

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos
AdeJa1
Beginner

Hi @Mæcenas_INTEL​ 

The same problem has occurred on another unit.

1. After initial programming through eeupdate32 is the EEPROM contents ever modified by the 82574 controller?
  2. Can you please provide me with the timing requirements of the NVM.

Regards,

A

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @AdeJa1​:

Thanks for your update.

Could you please confirm that you have followed the suggestion stated in our communication of the past December 3th, 2019 specifically the one of the 4:43PM?

We are waiting for your clarification.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos