Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems
852 Discussions

Bought I210-AT Ethernet controller, can't get software tools

pkeller
Beginner

Hi,

We have a custom PCB design with the Ethernet controller I210-AT, and according to the FAQ, we need document 513655 for the image files and document 348742 for the programming tools. The only references to these documents are links posted in this support forum, like this one.

When we click on these references, we get a message "Not Authorized to Access"; it would appear you need "RDC Privileged Access". We finally get a response (damian.czapski@intel.com), asking some questions about our company and the application. We answer the questions, and the laconic response is:

RDC access requires business opportunities for Intel and your company. The proper channel to guide your query will be contacting customer service using the link below:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html

This general-purpose customer-service link requires a product name, and the I210-AT is not there. The only other option loops you back to the RDC!!!

What goes on here??? You can't sell a product and then refuse access to the required software tools!

Is this process actually designed to frustrate your customers and waste their time? If so, you're 100% on track! Can someone please put a stop to this silliness?

Thanks, Philip

0 Kudos
5 Replies
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @pkeller:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

We confirm that you have a basic Resource and Design Center (RDC) account.

Due to this fact, could you please confirm that you requested the update of your account to privileged? You should request it by filling out the RDC Account Support form that can be found at:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/forms/support/my-intel-sign-on-support.html

We are waiting for your clarification.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
pkeller
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for your prompt reply. 

Yes, I did. If I go the the "privileged registration" page and sign in, I am redirected to a page that says, "Your Account Request Is Pending Review".

I assumed that the email from damian.czapski@intel.com was related to that review process.

Sincerely,

-- Philip

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @pkeller:

Thanks for your reply.

We have sent an email to the address related to your account with suggestions that may help you.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
pkeller
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

The bottom  line:

• We were denied RDC privileged access, presumably because our estimated quantities are not up to Intel's standards. Fair enough; I can understand that you don't want to waste time supporting mom & pop shops.
  • But then you should also restrict the sale of the ICs - or at least clearly warn potential customers that the requisite tools may not be accessible. In your e-mail, you recommended we take our complaint to the distributor from whom we bought the part; I find that pretty rich: they're Intel's distributors, not ours! Up to you to manage what they do and don't sell, and under what conditions!
  • Our solution was to revise the design, eliminating the need for this Ethernet controller. Admittedly a better solution, but the whole run-around was a huge waste of our time, and a very unpleasant experience.

Sincerely,

-- Philip

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @pkeller:

Thanks for your reply.

We suggest contacting the place of purchase of the Intel Ethernet Controllers, specifically the Intel Representative staffed in its company that will help you.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos