Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems
845 Discussions

Change MAC Address with BootUtil

ben387
New Contributor I

Hello,

What command can be used in the boot utility to change the MAC address of the I210 ethernet controller?  There does not appear to be a command in the bootutil.txt User Manual that can be used to do this.  I am using the boot utility version 25.2 in the EFI shell.

Thank you!

Ben

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Ben,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Kindly confirm if the I210 is embedded on your motherboard or a PCIe Network card? If embedded on motherboard, please provide the brand and model of your board. If the latter, please share PBA and serial number of the adapter. You may refer to the link below on where to find the PBA number. Providing photos of the adapter focusing on the markings (white sticker) found on the physical card will be highly appreciated for us to double check on it. The PBA consists 6-3 digit number located at the last part of the serial number.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007022/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

Please also indicate here the Operating System used as well as the link where BootUtil was downloaded from.

We look forward to your reply.

Should there be no response, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
ben387
New Contributor I

Hi Crisselle,

We plan to implement the I210 on a PCB made in-house, but we are currently using the Ethernet Server Adapter I210-T1 for testing (images attached).  The PBA is G69016 and the S/N is 001B21DC5A89 277CR.

The Boot Utility is run in EFI, so the OS has not loaded at that point.

The Boot Utility was downloaded from the link below:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29137/Intel-Ethernet-Connections-Boot-Utility-Preboot-Images-and-EFI-Drivers

If bootutil is not the correct way to update the MAC address, then is another utility like eeupdate64e.efi the correct method?

Thank you for your help,

Ben

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Ben,

Appreciate your effort in providing the information requested.

Please allow us to further check your query. We will give you an update as soon as possible but no later than 2-3 business days.

Hoping for your kind patience. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Ben,

Thank you for the patience on this matter.

Since you mentioned that you plan to implement the I210 on a PCB made in-house, we will help you to move this post to Embedded Connectivity Support team. Your query will be best answered by them.

Please feel free to contact us if you need assistance from Ethernet support team.

May you have an amazing day!

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @ben387:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

The MAC address string (MACADDR) option of the Intel(R) Ethernet Flash Firmware Utility (BootUtil) may help you. You can confirm this information and more details in the user guide of the cited utility on the following website:

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/29137/eng/bootutil.txt

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL

0 Kudos