Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems
850 Discussions

Configure 1PPS in Ethernet Network Adapter XXV710-DA2T (Intel)

mvellop
Beginner

Good afternoon,

I am using two Ethernet Network Adapter XXV710-DA2T in the LAB and I am looking for a manual to configure the PPS because I can not see the PPS out from the SMA port and we have checked all options.

Therefore, to whom may concern, could you please provide a manual to us to configure the PPS at the SMA ports and the boundary clock functionality?

Thanks in advance,

Greetings,

Carmen.

12 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello mvellop,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Before we proceed, let me check if you are designing a board or a system with embedded XXV710-DA2T?

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
mvellop
Beginner

Hello!!

We would like to design a PTP system. Therefore, we are using two servers with the XXV710-DA2T board in each one and we would want to configure the XXV710-DA2T for timing synchronization between them. So, first of all, our main aim is to have some knowledge about how to configure the PPS OUT/IN in the SMA port and which corresponds to.

Thanks in advance,

Greetings,

Carmen.

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @mvellop:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

Based on your replies, we want to address the following questions:

Could you please clarify if your consultation is related to add-in network cards or Ethernet controllers? In case that it is related to Ethernet controllers, could you please let us know the part numbers? 

Could you please let us know the list of the sources that you used to design the PTP system?

Could you please clarify if this system has been verified by Intel?

We are waiting for your reply to these questions.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
KVladimir
Beginner

Hello @CarlosAM_INTEL :

We also want to use these ethernet adapters (XXV710-DA2T) in our setup. We want to use linuxptp and GPS receiver w/ 1PPS output (GPS data to virtual COM port via USB) for this purpose. The OS is - Ubuntu Server 18.04 LTS. The driver: i40e version: 2.15.9, firmware-version: 8.30 0x8000a483 1.2926.0.

Could you please provide the requested information (SMA configuration for 1PPS input and use GPS timestamps for PHC) without asking additional questions?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @KVladimir:

You should address as a reference your questions related to the cited driver through the channels listed on the following website:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxptp/support

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
KVladimir
Beginner

Hello, @CarlosAM_INTEL :

Is it correct that linuxptp community should know more about Intel ethernet adapter configuration than Intel Embedded Community?

Actually I've already visited this website and there is no such information. In anyway ptp4l and phc2sys works well with system time but we need to make sure that Intel NIC uses GPS timestamps and 1PPS signal.

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @KVladimir:

Thanks for your reply.

In order to be on the same page,  could you please clarify if your questions are related to the Intel® Ethernet Controller XXV710 or to the Intel® Ethernet Network Adapter XXV710-DA2T?

You can find the specifications of the cited devices on the following websites:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/series/96777/intel-ethernet-controller-xxv710.html

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/95260/intel-ethernet-network-adapter-xxv710da2.html

We are waiting for your clarification. 

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
KVladimir
Beginner

Intel® Ethernet Network Adapter XXV710-DA2T

I already looked through this spec and many other docs but didn't find how to configure it's pins.

0 Kudos
ChrRaj00
Novice

Hello KVladimir,

have you figured out how to configure the pins? I'm also searching for this information like you.

Thanks,

Christian

0 Kudos
KVladimir
Beginner

Hi Christian,

Check /sys/class/ptp/ directory, go into the one you need to configure and then list pins. You can use 'cat' for reading them and 'echo' to modify.

Regards,

Vladimir

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @ChrRaj00:

You need to address your consultations related to the Intel® Ethernet Network Adapter XXV710-DA2T through the community channel stated on the following website:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/bd-p/ethernet-products

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello mvellop,

Base on your inquiry, we have specific forum for these issues and I will be transferring this thread for faster response. 

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos