Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems
850 Discussions

Firmware Update for X710 cards from OpenBSD?

shuber
Beginner

Hi all,

I encountered a connectivity problem on OpenBSD with a X710-DA2 that is solved by a firmware upgrade. To upgrade the Firmware, I have to reboot and boot into EFI Shell, live Linux or live FreeBSD. That is cumbersome since some SecureBoot is involved, and I have to go to the BIOS several times on each machine (and there's a lot of them).

Is there a possibility to get a description of what the firmware upgrade tool really does, or even the source code for the Upgrade Tool (preferable the FreeBSD Tool since that might be the least difference to OpenBSD)? Or is there even a Tool for OpenBSD, that does this?

live long and prosper,

Stefan

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello shuber,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

For us to further check the issue, please provide the following details.

1. Are you designing a board or a system with embedded X710-DA2?
  2. Or are you designing a software or a program?
  3. Please provide more details why do you need the source code of the firmware update.

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
shuber
Beginner

Hello Michael L.,

let me answer your questions:

1. Q: Are you designing a board or a system with embedded X710-DA2?
    A: Yes, we are building and selling server systems with X710 add-in network cards, and some motherboards with onboard X710 chips.
  2. Q: Or are you designing a software or a program?
    A: We are designing a (firewall) operating system based on OpenBSD and it's network card drivers
  3. Q: Please provide more details why do you need the source code of the firmware update.
    A: We would like to be able to update the network card's firmware in our OpenBSD environment to solve firmware errors and do this with as little downtime as possible (i.e. no unnecessary reboots, ...) and as litte end user interaction as possible (no unnecessary BIOS interaction, no unnecessary USB sticks, ...). If we were provided with the source code and / or a specific explanation on how to flash the firmware, we could do this from within our operating system and only require little downtime, little interaction and one reboot.
    Also, we might be able to upstream the necessary changes into OpenBSD and make the ixl(4) driver even better and more usable for the OpenBSD community.

Thanks, and best regards,

shuber

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello shuber,

Base on your inquiry, we have specific forum for these issues and I will be transferring this thread for faster response. 

Please wait for their reply within 1 to 2 business days.

Thank you and stay safe.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @shuber:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

You need to have a Resource and Design Center (RDC) privileged account to have access to the information that may help you.

The RDC Account Support form is the channel to process your account update process by filling out the form stated on the following website:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/forms/support/my-intel-sign-on-support.html

You should use a business email address to evade any inconvenience. Please avoid the free email provider's address (such as the provided by Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo, or others).

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
shuber
Beginner

Hi @CarlosAM_INTEL ,

thanks for your answer. I have applied for access to the RDC via the linked site, and am waiting for a reply.

If / when I get access and find the needed Information and Documents, I will Accept your reply a the solution.

Thanks, and kind regards,

Stefan Huber

0 Kudos