Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems
845 Discussions

Guidance for Setting Up I350-AM2 on Custom Board

Zahak
Beginner
Dear Community, We have designed a custom board to interface the Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4 with I350-AM2 IC; however, we are running into some trouble interfacing with the IC. We have followed the schematics provided by Intel for the design of our custom I350-AM2 interface board. Step 1: we typed "lspci" on the terminal to find the following message. 00.00.0 PCI bridge: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM2711 PCIe Bridge (rev 20) 01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Device 151f (rev 01) 01:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Device 151f (rev 01) (the first one is provided by Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4) Can you please explain what "151f" means when the device name is "I350"? We searched a few blogs and found that it relates to an unprogrammed Flash memory, but we haven't been able to understand fully. Step 2: We installed the driver compatible with I350-AM2 i.e. igb-5.7.2. Step 3: Typed "ip link show" but found no additional ports were found except for the ones provided by Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4. The three steps above usually work for off the shelf Ethernet controller boards. However, for our custom board, we are unsure what to do afterwards. We checked a few blogs and the most relevant one is as follows: https://community.intel.com/t5/Embedded-Connectivity/Bringing-up-flash-on-a-custom-I350AM4-design/m-p/1300953?profile.language=ko which suggests to run the Boot Utility to update the firmware. However, our major problem is that we are not able to install the Intel Boot Utility on the Linux based Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4. The steps which we followed are as follows: 1) We downloaded the Preboot.tar.gz file version 26.8 from the Intel website and copied it to a temporary folder named "Preboot". 2) Unpacked it using tar -xzvf Preboot.tar.gz in the "Preboot" folder 3) Installed the Linux32 version by navigating to Preboot/APPS/BootUtil/Linux32/Driver/install (Raspberry is 32 bit ARM based) After running "install", we were lost as to how to open the Boot Utility. The "bootutil32" file in the "BootUtil" folder could not be opened as it was "shared library" filetype. We are basic users of Intel devices on Linux. We also searched to find videos and step by step tutorials for our problems, but weren't able to find any solution as there are not many examples of Raspberry Pi interfacing with a custom on-board ethernet controllers. We would appreciate all the help we can get in testing our custom I350-AM2 board. Thank you.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Zahak,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Since your query involves custom board, please be informed that this will be best answered by our Embedded Connectivity Support team. We will help you to move this post to the designated team for further assistance. Please feel free to contact us if you need assistance from Ethernet support team.

May you have an amazing weekend ahead and stay safe!

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zahak
Beginner
@Crissele_Intel

Thank you very much for your reply.

I wish you health and s fantastic weekend too.
0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @Zahak 

Thanks for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

We sent an email to the address related to this account with information that may help you.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL 

0 Kudos
Zahak
Beginner
I had already contacted the customer sales centre in South Korea. They asked me to contact the Intel community website for the solution. However, I will try and ask about the Intel Premier Service support.

In addition, can you please elaborate what Intel Premier Support is and how can it help in solving the problem of interfacing my new I350-AM2 with the Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4?

Also, does the Intel Premier Support require a subscription for its use?
0 Kudos
Zahak
Beginner

We contacted the Intel Customer Support office in South Korea (my place of residence) as per your directions. However, they said that they could not provide any such assistance in sales support and asked me to ask you regarding contact details of someone who could help us in getting Intel Premier Support services.

I would be grateful for your reply.

0 Kudos
Zahak
Beginner

Hello.

We have signed into the Intel Developer Zone after going through forums and relevant material e.g. as noted as follows.

https://community.intel.com/t5/Embedded-Connectivity/How-to-get-i350-EEPROM-Access-Tool/td-p/715101

We are using ARM 32 Bit based Raspberry Pi on-board interface with I350-AM2. We have also found the relevant files (Eepromtool and I350 image files) mentioned in the above post. We have followed the steps as mentioned in the User Guide file; however, we would like to have some help with the installation procedure as we are stuck. 

I have tried to send emails received regarding this post; however, I haven't received a reply for a week. I would greatly appreciate a reply as we are shooting in the air here. The customer support centre in Korea hasn't been much help as well.

Thank you. 

0 Kudos