Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems
850 Discussions

I210 - Adapter failed to initialise

idata
Employee

Hi,

I am integrating an I210-IT onto a breakout card and have run into a problem getting it up and running. we are using the I210 internal PHY in flash less mode.

• I first used the lanconfw64e tool to check the I210 was visible as a blank device
  • I then used the EEUPDATEW64e tool to load the "I210_Invm_Copper_APM_v0.6.txt" image. The updater tool said this completed successfully.
  • I used the lanconfW64e tool to re check the visibility of the device and it is now recognized as "Intel I210 Gbit Network Connection". I also checked the registers which are now updated with new data.
  • I then downloaded the Intel drivers from the Download center and installed. This said it completed successfully.

I now have a yellow triangle on the image in device manager and the following error "failed to initialize adapter (code 10)"

Re running the lanconfW64e tool i get the following message

And if i open the resource as suggested i get the following

Any help would be appreciated as a little lost on this one.

Kind Regards

Robert

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Adolfo_S_Intel

Hello RobH ,

Thank you for contacting the Intel Embedded Community.

In order to better understand this situation, we would like to address the following questions:

Could you please clarify us if the affected design has been developed by you or a third party company? In case that it is a third party design please let us know all the information related to it.

Could you please confirm us if the affected design has been reviewed by Intel?

Could you please verify that the guidelines stated in the answers to the questions 2.9 and 2.23, on pages 8 and 11 of the http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/faqs/ethernet-controller-i210-i211-faq.pdf Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I210/I211 Frequently Asked Questions document # 334026, have been followed by you on the mentioned troubleshooting process? In case that you ignore this information please use it, and let us know the results.

Please let us know the requested information.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

Best Regards,

AdolfoS on behalf of Carlos_A.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi AdolfoS,

The design has been developed by myself not a third party.

No the design has not been reviewed by Intel. Are you suggesting this could be a hardware/integration problem. i assumed because i can speak to the I210 and programming it that the PCI bus is working and therefore the device must be powered correctly. I followed the advice in the example schematic while designing.

I have read and considered the FAQ but don't think this can be the problem. I have only programmed the iNVM once and it said it completed successfully. I am not trying to re program the I210. I was trying to use the lanconf tool to investigating why it is not working.

Hope this helps. Your assistance is much appreciated

Regards

Rob

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello RobH ,

Thanks for your update.

Based on your previous communications, we suggest verifying that an NVM is unattached to the i210, also confirm that a restart happened.

We hope that this information may help you.

Best Regards,

Carlos_A.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for getting back to me. There is definitely no external memory attached to the I210. I have power cycled both the PCB with the I210 and the whole PC multiple times i still see the same issues.

I will try reinstalling drivers today and look at the BIOS PCIe settings. I think it unlikely these will be the problem though as I could speak to the device before.

How do the resources get assigned to a PCIe device? Should this be done by the driver or at an earlier stage by the BIOS? Is there another way for me to get a fault code back from the I210 that could give us more information?

Regards

Rob

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Carlos,

Reinstalling the drivers did not make a difference. i still have the same problem. Any further ideas were i can look for a solution to this problem?

Regards

Rob

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello RobH ,

Thanks for your replies.

Based on your previous communications, could you please verify that affected design has been developed based on the guidelines stated in the https://edc.intel.com/Link.aspx?id=8390 Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I210-AT/IT Checklist, and https://edc.intel.com/Link.aspx?id=8393 Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I210 Dual Design Guide?

In case that you ignore the answer, please review it based on these documents to avoid any discrepancy with the suggested recommendations.

We hope that this information may help you to solve this inconvenience.

Best Regards,

Carlos_A.

0 Kudos
AHa
Beginner

Did you ever get this figured out? I just happened on the same problem. I had to "rmmod e1000e" and then lanconf was able to initialize the adapter. Apparently my driver had the adapter locked up.

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, akha:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

In order to be on the same page, could you please tell us if the affected project has been developed by you or it is a third party one? In case that it is a third party one, could you please give us all the information related to it? if it has been designed by you, could you please tell us where is stated the guidelines that you have used to develop it? Also, could you please confirm that your project has been reviewed by Intel?

Please let us know the information that should answer the previous questions.

We really appreciate your cooperation to solve this inconvenience.

Best regards,

Carlos_A

0 Kudos
AHa
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for attending to me. However, I'm fine, no issues at the moment, I just happened to see this forum when I did have an issue, but as I stated it was the existing e1000e driver for my i218 PHY that was locking up the registers and preventing me from running lanconf. Once I "rmmod e1000e" lanconf was able to initialize the adapter.

thanks,

Andrew

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, akha:

Thanks for your update that is appreciated from our side.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any consultation related to Intel Embedded products.

Best regards,

Carlos_A.

0 Kudos
erikerik
Beginner
Hi idata,
I have the same problem that you explained in your first message. Have you found any solutions for that issue?
0 Kudos