Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems
851 Discussions

I210 detection issues under embedded linux -- (i211)

SStan4
Novice

Hi

We are using I210 blank chip along with imx6 dual lite processor in embedded Linux environment. The device is detected in the U boot with device ID 1532.

(So i assume HW wise the chip works and is connected properly) But when linux kernel loads it hangs in the screen "Loading kernel".. We have enabled the following in the menuconfig.

Under bus

PCI bus support and PCI debugging enabled

Under Kernel LL debug

early printk

Under Device Drivers > Network device support > Ethernet driver support

Intel(R) PRO/1000 PCI-Express Gigabit Ethernet support

Bus support > PCI host controller drivers

Freescale i.MX6 PCIe controller

EP and EC mode are not selected

If we don't enable PCI support then the Kernel and RFS boots up properly. Even though PCI and early printk are enabled i don't see any error dbg mssgs from the kernel nor failure dbg mssgs before the kernel hangs. Do i have to enable any more modules in the kernel. Am I missing some configuration in the kernel?? Only if the device is listed i can use the eeupdate tool and configure the iNVM.

22 Replies
SStan4
Novice

Hi LynnZ , Adolfo,

Sorry about being late to update you guys on the developments. Yes , we were able to get the ETH interface up and running on our ARM platform. We will give the details of our findings / changes shorlty. Thanks for all your support on this. !

We are now working on making some tweaks on the Phy configurations. For some cost reduced version of our platform, we would want to keep a 10/100 eth connector with the I211 instead of a GbE connector.

When we connect it to a 10/100 magnetics, it doesn't work on a network, that is GbE capable, even though the switch supports auto negotiation.( it works fine on 10 ?100 ) This we understand is due to the fact that the I211 still negotiates itself with the switch as a GbE capable device, whereas the connection is only 10/100. Is there some settings in I211 that could disable GbE interface and still be able to do auto negotiations for 10/100.

Pls find below a snap shot of the connections between the I211 and the magnetics.

Best Regards,

Sixtus
0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel

Hello SStanly

Sorry for the delay

Regarding your question about disabling GbE interface, you need to check IPCNFG register, bit 3 EEE_1G_AN (i211 datasheet page 382):

Report EEE 1 GbE Capability in Auto-negotiation.

0b = Do not report EEE 1 GbE capability in auto-negotiation.

1b = Report EEE 1 GbE capability in auto-negotiation.

But before changing anything in the Auto negotiation process my first suggestion would be to check section 11.5 Ethernet Interface of the i211 Datasheet, and make sure that you are complying with the recommendations, as this is what might be causing the communication problems. You might one to check this (especially if you are using discrete magnetics):

When using discrete magnetics it is necessary to use Bob Smith termination: Use four 75Ω resistors for cable-side center taps and unused pins. This method terminates pair-to-pair common mode impedance of the CAT5 cable.

Regards,

Adolfo

0 Kudos