Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems
845 Discussions

Intel Ethernet Server Adapter I211 crystal input

BTijm
Beginner

Hi,

I use the Ethernet controller WGI211AT S LJXY on my board.

When I measure the voltage levels at XTAL1 (In), the VOH requirement is not met. Is there a way to tune this?

The crystal I use is WTL9M10268. As far as I see it meets the requirements stated in the datasheet.

For probe I use TAP1500 (spec'd at <1pF and 1MOhm) with a 2GHz scope.

The I211 however seems to work fine.

Can you comment on this?

I attached the board layout and my measurement result.

Thanks in advance,

Bart Tijmensen

0 Kudos
6 Replies
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @BTijm​:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

Could you please clarify if the affected project is your design or a third- party one?

In case that it is a third-party device, could you please inform the name of the manufacturer, its model, the part number, and where its documentation is stated?

On the other hand, could you please let us know how many units of the project related to this circumstance have been manufactured? How many are affected? Could you please give the failure rate? Also, could you please list the sources that you have used to design it and if it has been verified by Intel?

We are waiting for your answer to these questions.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos
BTijm
Beginner

Hi @Mæcenas_INTEL​ 

The project is not my design however, it has been qualified by me because I joined the team since they did not have enough capacity.

The project is in the qualification phase, so there about 10 units at the moment. I tested 2 units and got the same results as I have posted.

The team have used Intel documentation and crystal manufacturer documentation for the design, which I checked, and it looks ok.

Datasheet of the crystal manufacturer is attached

As far as I know crystal manufacturer documentation has not been checked by Intel

Thanks in advance,

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @BTijm​:

Thanks for your update.

Reviewing your communications, it is unclear VIH measure on your design.

Could you please give us this information?

We are waiting for your reply.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos
BTijm
Beginner

Hello @Mæcenas_INTEL​,

See table below for VIH requirements of I122 and my own measurements

Untitled.png

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @BTijm​:

Thanks for your reply.

We recommend follow the guidelines stated in the documentation because they have been tested and validated by Intel.

However, in case that you want to implement something out of the suggestions stated in the documentation, it should be tested and validated on your own.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos
BTijm
Beginner

Hi @Mæcenas_INTEL​ 

I assumed that in the I211 datasheet the specification for XTAL1 (In) was for both oscillator and crystal, but it is only for oscillator.

It would also be weird if there was a voltage requirement, because the I211 drives the crystal and is in control of the voltage swing.

Therefore, this thread can be marked as solved, since there are no requirements regarding voltage level for crystal.

thank you for your time,

@BTijm​ 

0 Kudos