Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems
850 Discussions

JTAG programmer for i210?

Ritchie56
Beginner

What is the recommend JTAG programmer/reader for the WGI210IT?  THe datasheet recommends the Quartus II, but that seems like just a software tool. What is the external H/W I need to talk to the i210?

Thanks , Ritchie

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Ritchie56,

Thank you for posting on Intel Ethernet Communities. 

We would like to ask some questions in order for us to provide you an accurate information. Please provide us the following;

1. Please confirm if you are using a discreet network adapter or an embedded controller for the i210 ethernet controller/ adapter that you are using. 

If you are using a discreet network adapter, can you provide us a picture of the markings both front and back so we can determine the if you are using a retail card or a 3rd party OEM kit.

However if you are using an embedded controller, please provide us the exact model of your mother board instead. 

2. Why do you need the information for JTAG? Can you advise us more?

3. Are you experiencing any issues with your i210 ethernet controller/ adapter? 

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Ritchie56
Beginner

The embedded processor is a Qualcom OQ-845-USOM845, interfacing to the i210 via PCIe. We wanted the JTAG interface as a means of debugging and verifying the hardware.  Since it is provided for that very purpose, I wanted to make it available to the software developers. I understand the recommended S/W is Quartus-II, but I'm unsure what the recommended H/W interface should or could be. 

At this point, we have not brought the whole system yet, so we don't know if or what issues we'll have.  But it would be nice to have the necessary tools ready for debugging any issues.

We can adapt what ever interface we use to the required JTAG on our board.

Thanks, RW

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Ritchie56,

Just needing to confirm since you mentioned that the "embedded processor is a Qualcom OQ-845-USOM845, interfacing to the i210 via PCIe" meaning you are using an LOM (Lan on Motherboard) or an embedded controller for this is that correct? If so can you provide us the motherboard that you are using for this.

Also just needing to ask is you concern more on designing a board for this? Please do advise us.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Ritchie56
Beginner

The "motherboard" we are using is custom/proprietary, subject to ITAR regulations.  So unless Intel wants to sign an NDA, I cannot share the details of our hardware. It really has nothing to do with the motherboard. I provided a Tag-Connect® TC-2030 JTAG connector on the board with the i210 for purposes of debug and testing. Its a pretty simple request. Knowing how the motherboard is put together has nothing to do with needing to know what piece of hardware we should use to interface to the i210.  You provided a JTAG interface for the i210 for that purpose, so it would seem logical that you(intel) had an interface in mind that is compatible with the Quartus II® software. JTAG is a public domain and seems you're turning this into some big trade secret when all we're looking for is a simple COTS solution. 

Thank you 

R.Williams

0 Kudos
Jaime_Lizarme

Hello @Ritchie56 ,

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

We have been checking your question and your requirement for your desing; however we are still not clear what you need from Intel, since you clearly understand that "JTAG is a public domain" and the Intel i210 is an standard 1000Base-T controller; maybe a block diagram would clarify more your scenario and question about interfacing the i210 with a JTAG. However we have found some external information that might be related to your requirement, please confirm is that is what you need:

https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/Projects/RemoteSystemDebug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsGumtkyLKo&ab_channel=IntelFPGA

Once again this external information that you are free to use on your own discretion, since I was not able to find anything related internally. 

Best regards,

Jaime L.

Intel Customer Support Engineer

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Ritchie56,

As per further checking on your concern, we do apologize however we are unable to provide further assistance with your concern. Your query will be best answered by our Embedded Support team instead. We will help you to move this post to the designated team. Please feel free to contact us if you need assistance from Ethernet support team.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Ritchie56
Beginner

Here is the block diagram requested:

Ritchie56_0-1652282166619.png

Its a pretty simple request really.  Knowing the mother board is useless since it's a proprietary design, and no, its a PCIe link (not Ethernet) to the motherboard. The ethernet is for an external connection. 

Thanks RW

0 Kudos
Jaime_Lizarme

Hello @Ritchie56 ,

Thank you for your additional information.

I have checked internally and I didn't find any article or guideline for the implementation you need; however as you have clarified this is between JTAG and PCIe, being both open standards; I am sure you can find more information externally. See the following links we have already provided: 

https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/Projects/RemoteSystemDebug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsGumtkyLKo&ab_channel=IntelFPGA

Once again this external information that you are free to use on your own discretion.

Best regards,

Jaime L.

Intel Customer Support Engineer

0 Kudos