Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems
850 Discussions

Magnetic CMC placement for i225 design

APAINCHAUD
Beginner

Hi,

I'm designing a board with the i225 and in the Design checklist (Excel document), it states that the CMC of the Magnetic must be on the cable side, but in the revision history of the Design Considerations and Guidelines document, we can see that the magnetic CMC location has been removed.

Is it safe to assume that it has been removed because there's not enough noticeable differences between having the CMC on the Cable side compared to the PHY side, or having it on the cable side is advantageous for EMI testing ?

First time I see this and not enough relevant answers on the web regarding this.

Also, I saw this in the i225 Datasheet and don't understand what it means regarding the +3.3V_PAD pin definition:

"Short cutting this voltage domain with others of same nominal value is not allowed on the i225."

Does that mean this pin need a separate +3.3V source from the other pins? Because that's not what has been done on the reference design.

Thanks !

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello APAINCHAUD,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Base on your inquiry, we have a different team who can further help you, we need to route this thread to the correct group so you will be better assisted by the proper team.

Please wait for their reply within 1 to 2 business days.

Thank you and stay safe.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @APAINCHAUD:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

We sent an email to the address related to this account with suggestions that may help you.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos