Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems
852 Discussions

PCI Express 3.1 (5GT/s) backward compatibility

Donato
Beginner

Hello everyone,

I found the ethernet controller KTI225LM which seems to have PCI Express 3.1 (5GT/s)  but the board already runs with MCIMX6U7CVM08AB (MPU i.MX6 DualLite) which supports the PCI Express 1.1/2.0 Standard.

Question:  is PCI Express 3.1 (5GT/s) backward compatible with  PCI Express 1.1/2.0 Standard ? If not, what is the issue?

Thanks for the support.

Regards,

Donato

P.S. I found just the product brief of KTL225LM, if is possible to have a detailed datasheet, I'm looking for it, thanks.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Donato,

Thank you for posting on Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Can we ask for you to provide us the exact model of your mother board.

Also just to provide you a heads up since this is for an embedded ethernet controller, we do have limited support for this and we might need to refer you to your board manufacturer. However, we will try to provide you first our best effort or any information that we can share with you.  

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Donato
Beginner

Hello Zigfreid,

the board where this component are mounted is made by my company Microelettrica Scientifica, so there is not standard motherboard to refer the topic.

Since we detected obsolescence of the ethernet controller mounted till now (WG82574IT S LBAC) I'm looking for an alternative available in short term (which seems very difficult to find and  to be stock available in the short term).

Therefore I found the KTI225LM which maybe a good alternative, I just want to check if the PCI Express 3.1 supports the older PCI Express 1.1/2.0 Standard.

Hope that is more clear the request with this explanation.

Also if it's possible to get a detailed datasheet for it, would be very good to have.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Thanks and regards,

Donato

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Donato,

Can we confirm if your company is a mother board manufacturer? If so, we might need to refer you to a different team instead. 

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Donato
Beginner

Hello Zigfreid,

no, my company produces several devices in the railway field, and afterall that doesn't matter to answer my simple question,

that is again :

does  PCI Express 3.1 supports the older PCI Express 1.1/2.0 Standard ?

Thanks.

Kind regards,

Donato

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Yes, they are backwards compatible. As stated here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express#PCI_Express_3.1, the specification consistently requires backwards compatibility with previous versions.

Hope this helps,

...S

Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Donato,

We do apologize if we needed to ask you if your company is board manufacturer since we have a different team who handles more on the design part which is the Embedded community. 

Your query will be best answered by our Embedded Connectivity Support team. We will help you move this post to the designated team for further assistance. 

Please feel free to contact us if you need assistance from Ethernet support team.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel

Hello, @Donato ,

I think the response from @n_scott_pearson , clarified your question.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions regarding this topic.

Best Regards,

@Adolfo_S_Intel 

0 Kudos
Donato
Beginner

Hello @Adolfo_S_Intel,

it's possible to get a technical datasheet for  the KTL225 series?

Online I found just the product brief, which is not useful for implementation in the design of the board.

Thanks.

Kind regards,

Donato

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel

Hello, @Donato ,

I have not found any information about KTL225 on the Intel internal documentation sites.

Could you please elaborate on this component or post the link to the product brief?

BR,

@Adolfo_S_Intel 

0 Kudos
Donato
Beginner

Hello @Adolfo_S_Intel,

I made a typo in writing, I mean KTI225.

Product brief from mouser Intel-Corporation-2585974.pdf (mouser.it).

Thanks and regards,

Donato

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel

Hello, @Donato ,

Thanks for the clarification.

To get more documentation about the I225 ethernet controller you need to have a Resource and Design Center (RDC) privileged account.

The RDC Account Support form is the channel to process your account update process by filling out the form stated on the following website:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/forms/support/my-intel-sign-on-support.html

You should use a business email address to evade any inconvenience. Please avoid the free email provider's address (such as the provided by Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo, or others).

Best Regards,

@Adolfo_S_Intel 

0 Kudos