Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems
845 Discussions

UART issue on Comet Lake S board

RHuan64
Beginner

Hi, masters

There are three UART controller devices (ID 0xa3e6 0xa3a7 0xa3a8) in Comet Lake S board, but those device ID aren't found in docs of 100 series PCH, 200 series PCH, 300 series PCH, 400 series PCH and 500 series PCH.

Could any one tell which docs have thess UART devices id reference or descriptions?

BTW the device id 0xa3af and 0xa3a3 also are not been found in those PCH docs. which docs have these devices id reference or description.

Thanks a lot : )

0 Kudos
4 Replies
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @RHuan64​:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

In order to better understand your request, we want to address the following questions:

Could you please give part number or the top side markings pictures of the processors associate to this forum?

Could you please clarify if this situation happens on your design or a third- party project? 

In case that it is a third-party device, could you please inform the name of the manufacturer, its model, the part number, and where its documentation is stated?

On the other hand, could you please let us know how many units of the project related to this circumstance have been manufactured? How many are affected? Could you please give the failure rate? Also, could you please list the sources that you have used to design it and if it has been verified by Intel?

Could you please let us know all the details of the BIOS associated to this situation?

We are waiting for your reply to these questions.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos
RHuan64
Beginner

Hi, @Mæcenas_INTEL​ 

Thanks for your reply.

Currently we are doing some developments on board comet lake S PCH-V RVP, and the board is from Intel.

These device IDs are accessed by reading the PCI sub-device register (we could access the vender ID (8086) and device ID), and look like these IDs belongs to PCH controller device IDs, but as I last comment, I could not find those IDs on multiple series PCH Docs.

The devices IDs as followings,

0xa3e6 0xa3a7 0xa3a8 (the three IDs could be accessed as enable UART0, UART1 and UART2 in BIOS)

0xa3af and 0xa3a3 (I could not sure if the two IDs are UART device IDs, because I could not found any reference or description in Intel Docs)

So My question is if these device IDs above are UART devices IDs? And if there are any official Docs detail description the devices? For example, like PCH series docs, the device IDs and device register description and so on.

Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @RHuan64​:

Thanks for your reply.

We suggest you review the information stated in Table 5 and section 33, on pages 20 and 242 of the Intel(R) 400 Series Chipset Family [Comet Lake PCH-V] Platform Controller Hub External Design Specification, Volume 1 of 2 document # 611472. It can be found when you are logged into your Resource & Design Center (RDC) privileged account on the following website:

http://www.intel.com/cd/edesign/library/asmo-na/eng/611472.htm

The RDC Account Support form is the channel to process your account update request. It can be found at:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/forms/support/my-intel-sign-on-support.html

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos
RHuan64
Beginner

Hi, @Mæcenas_INTEL​ 

Thanks for your support.

And I have submitted a request to update my account.

0 Kudos