Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems
845 Discussions

i210 NVM MAC Address ARM...

Hugaerts
Novice

Hi,

Since a while now, I'm trying to discover how and what to use to flash an empty i210 iNVM memory from an aarch64 system (imx8). The chip is part of our board made in-house and the goal is simply to set the missing MAC Addresses and let the igb kernel module recognize and manage that device (the device id is still 1531).

After many researches, NDA signed, mail exchanges, access to this portal, aso, aso... I received from your help the archive 'eepromaccesstool-0-7-7.zip' who is not working. However, reading this forum I found the version 0.8.0 and this one can be compiled and seems to discover the chips we have:

$ ./EepromAccessTool 

Intel(R) EEPROM Access Tool NVM/OTP Programming Example Tool   Version 0.8.0
Provided under the terms of a CNDA.  Do Not Distribute.
Copyright(C) 2017-2020 by Intel(R) Corporation 
NIC	BUS	DEV	FUN	Silicon	Memory Type Present
===	===	===	===	=====	======================
 1	1	 0	 0	I210	     INVM+FLASH
 2	1	 0	 0	I210	     INVM+FLASH

Trying to dump the content of the NVM result in all the bytes at 0xFF:

$ ./EepromAccessTool -dump -nic=1

Using no FW mode
Found an NVM
$ ls -l *.otp
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2621439 Mar 31 15:54 I210NIC1.otp
$ cat I210NIC1.otp
FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF
FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF

And trying to flash it with the provided 'I210_Invm_Copper_APM_v0.6.HEX' result in nothing at all:

$ ./EepromAccessTool -nic=1 -f=hex_files/I210_Invm_Copper_APM_v0.6.HEX 

Using no FW mode
size is 80000
Detected FlashId: ef40
Using generic method
Erasing Full NVM...
Test writing worked.
Erasing sector to cleanup test write...
Programming...
HEX image type detected
Checksum already written.
$ ./EepromAccessTool -dump -nic=1

Using no FW mode
Found an NVM
$ uniq -c I210NIC1.otp 
  65536 FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF
$

I've resetted the device many times... Tried all the provided hex images for the i210... Nothing works...

Thank's in advance for your help.

Regards,

Mark.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @Hugaerts:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

We sent an email to address associate to your account with information that may help you.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
Hugaerts
Novice

Hi @CarlosAM_INTEL,

Thanks for your reply.

I read the point 2.23 of the FAQ as you propose and nothing tend to let us think it's an hardware issue... We double-checked almost everything and all seems to be ok and compliant...

However, we were faced to few bugs in your EepromAccessTool... We fixed some but still not working as required.

Do you have by any chance an updated version ? I compiled/tested the version "572162-eepromaccesstool-0.8.0.zip"

Regards,

Mark.

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @Hugaerts:

Thanks for your reply.

We sent again an email with suggestions that may help you.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
Hugaerts
Novice

Hi @CarlosAM_INTEL ,

As you reply us by email instead of this forum, I replied you by email also...  But had no news from you so far... The mail was sent 2 days ago on 31st of May. May I kindly ask you to check your mails and reply here ?

It could be easier to follow for everyone if we could stick to writing in this forum. I can also copy/paste the mail here if you don't find it in your inbox... Please let me know what we should do...

Please note also that the problem we encounter is on the desk for months now and we absolutely need to find a solution to fix these mac addresses and configs one time for all. I find this really weird to don't have a workable tool from you to flash your iNVM...

Thanks for your understandings,

Regards,

Mark.

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @Hugaerts:

Thanks for your reply.

We sent another email with suggestions that may help you.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
jetson
Beginner

Hi @CarlosAM_INTEL,

I also want to change the MAC address of the i210 as Hugaerts described,Could you give me some hints?

Best regards,

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @jetson:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

Based on your previous communication, we want to address the following questions:

Could you please clarify if the device related to this situation has been designed by you or by a third-party company?
Could you please let us know the part number, name of the manufacturer, and where to find the information related to the project associated with this condition?
Could you please list the source that you used to develop the design associated with the mentioned Ethernet Controller and if it has been verified by Intel?
We are waiting for your answer to these questions.
Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
jetson
Beginner

Hello,@CarlosAM_INTEL:

Thanks for your reply.

We bought Intel I210 chips from a third party company and have signed the CNDA agreement.

We're already using this chip on our own board as an extended network port, After I run sudo ./EepromAccessTool -nic=X -f=<filename>, the network port is available.  But they all have the same MAC addresses 00:A0:C9:00:00:00,  and I can't change its MAC address again.

What can I do to change its MAC address?

Best regards,

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @jetson:

Thanks for your reply.

You need to have a Resource and Design Center (RDC) privileged account to have access to the requested information.

The RDC Account Support form is the channel to process your account update process by filling out the form stated on the following website:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/forms/support/my-intel-sign-on-support.html

You should use a business email address to evade any inconvenience. Please avoid the free email provider's address (such as the provided by Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo, or others).

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos