Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems

i210 PPS output offset

SUsam
Beginner

Hello, I have two devices connected by ethernet and synchronized through hardware PTP.

Device1: i.MX6

Device2: i210

I use linuxptp(http://linuxptp.sourceforge.net/ The Linux PTP Project ) for the software on both devices and use testptp(https://github.com/torvalds/linux/tree/master/tools/testing/selftests/ptp linux/tools/testing/selftests/ptp at master · torvalds/linux · GitHub ) to enable

PPS output from i210. The platform on both devices are Linux.

Currently the synchronization looks good.

When Device 1 is master and Device 2 is slave,

the master offset on Device 2 is around 100ns.

But when I measure the PPS timing difference of the two devices on an oscilloscope,

i210 is 7.8us behind and the PPS timing seems to be locked (the offset is always around 7.8us).

Is there a particular register for setting timing offset between phc(PTP hardware clock) and PPS on i210?

or is it specified anywhere that there is a fixed offset from the phc to PPS output?

or is it just that I have some configuration mistakes on either of the devices?

# The command I entered on i210 is as follows

$ ./testptp -L0,2 -i 0

$ ./testptp -p 1000000000 -i 0

Thank you.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, susami:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

We suggest you verify that your implementation fulfills with the requirements stated in sections 7.8.5, 7.1.6, 7.8.2, 7.8.2.2.2, 7.8.2.3, and 7.8.3.2; on pages 352, 353, 354, 355, 280, 344, 345, 347, 348, 349, and 350 of the https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/datasheets/i210-ethernet-controller-datasheet.pdf Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I210 Datasheet document # 333016.

We hope that this information is useful to you.

Best regards,

Carlos_A.

0 Kudos
SUsam
Beginner

Hello Carlos,

Thank you for your response.

I have already checked the requirements in the i210 datasheets and was not able to

figure out what the problem was.

Are there any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, susami:

Thanks for your reply.

In order to be on the page, could you please let us know if you tested 2x I210 connected back to back? In case that you answer is affirmative, please let us know a detailed description of the results.

By the way, could you please give us the Operating System(OS) version, driver version, ptp4l version, and exact command that are related to the cited issue?

Finally, Could you please confirm us if you have contacted the manufacturer of the other device to verify if this problem is related to their product? In case that you answer is positive, please provide all the details.

Waiting for your answer to these questions.

Best regards,

Carlos_A.

0 Kudos
AChav23
Beginner

Where can I find PPS output on intel i210 card? Is it accessible, if yes can I use that to test my ptp based system? I am thinking to configure i210 nic as ptp master and my PTP based system as PTP slave, compare both pps(I210 pps and My IEEE1588ptp based system pps).

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @AChav23​:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

Could you please confirm if your questions are related to a NIC adding card manufacturer by a third-party company? Please give all the information of the NIC card (part number, model, manufacturer, and others) if your answer is affirmative.

Could you please confirm if your consultations are related to the following thread?

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004WFkcdSAD/can-i-use-intel-i210i211i340i350-to-test-my-ieee1588-ptp-based-system-does-it-have-pps-output

We are waiting for your answer to these questions.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @AChav23​:

Thanks for your clarification.

In order to avoid duplicate efforts and obtain the proper information to your NIC card questions, please refer to the thread that you mentioned on your last communication.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos
AChav23
Beginner
0 Kudos