Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems
851 Discussions

i210IS with SGMII PHY (the DP83867)

NGhor
Beginner

Hi,

We have a board that is being adapted for a new product.

The platform is Windows 7 Embedded.

Previously the i210 was programmed with I210_Invm_SerDesKX_APM_v0.6.txt for a direct SGMII connection to a Vitesse VSC7438YIH switch.

We are now adapting this to a new setup using an external PHY  (the DP83867). Our prototype was originally programmed with the I210_Invm_SerDesKX_APM_v0.6.txt as for other products.

Subsequently I have modified the file to:

• See file attached I210_Invm_SerDesPHY_APM_v0.1.txt
  • Set APM; Link Mode = 10 (SGMII) (0x24 = 0x06A0)
  • SerDes Device ID for (External SGMII PHY) (0x0d = 0x1538

After this the device driver in Windows claims the device has an error.

I tried subsequently to change the Device ID to 0x15F6 but am not getting a "unable to merge error" with eeUpdate.

What file do we need to program for this extranl PHY setup?

What is causing the "Unable to merge error" with the device as I cannot even put back the original file into the device.

All help appreciated.

Best Regards.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @NGhor​:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

Could you please let us know if the design related to this thread has been developed by you or it is a third-party device? In case that it is a third-party unit, please let us know the part number, model, name of the manufacturer, and where is stated the information related to it. On the other hand, in case that it is your design , please inform the sources that you have used to develop it.

We are waiting for your reply.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos
NGhor
Beginner

PS Answer to your question below: But the lanconf is unable to initialize the adapter at this stage (after I programmed in the modified iNVM value. Is there a way to bring the adapter back to default or undo the iNVM settings?

Regards,

Naveed

0 Kudos
NGhor
Beginner

Reading other replies I understand that the iNVM is OTP and limited rewirtes.

So I am switching to another board.

What I need know is the SKU and other settings for an external PHY using a flashless i210.

Would I use the SKU of 0x1538 even though it is flash less. 0x15F6 doesn't mention i210IS even though it is flashless.

What other settings apart from the link CTRL_EXT.Link_Mode being set to SGMII (10b)?

Any urgent help appreciated to avoid burning out iNVM on more boards.

0 Kudos
NGhor
Beginner

Hi,

This is our own design based on BeyTrail based on the Valley Island design from Intel.

We have the basic design of this motherboard is already in use in a product for at least a year now. The I210 SGMII interface goes off to a daughter board from this common motherboard.

The previous daughter board was an SGMII to SGMII interface. This new daughter board is an SGMII to PHY interface. The PHY is a DP83867.

Thus the circuity from the CPU to the i210 is the same .

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @NGhor​:

Thanks for your update.

Could you please verify if your implementation fulfills the suggestions stated at the following thread mentioned as a reference?

http://e2e.ti.com/support/interface/f/138/p/791896/2956154#2956154?jktype=e2e

In case that there are discrepancies you should contact the PHY manufacturer as a reference at the channels listed at:

https://ticsc.service-now.com/csm/

We are waiting for your answer.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos
NGhor
Beginner

Hi @Mæcenas_INTEL​ 

We are using magnetics so the thread does not relate to out situation too much.

Also we are after the firmware settings.

Currently we believe that the connection between the PHY and the i210 is working as we can read the PHT registers (using lanconf) and see the default values of the registers.

Furthermore when we connect the PHY to a LAN port on a computer we can see (through the PHY registers that is has negotiated a connection and the link is up.

So the main issue that remains is that Windows is not able to initialize the driver when we setup this PHY connection using device id 0x1538. Everything else seems to be working (although requires through testing once the driver is working).

Please see the file attached that we used to program the iNVM. This is where I believe there may be an issue.

We have used the Device ID 0x1538 (register 0x2). Is this correct or do we need to use 0x15F6 since it is a a flashless device. 0x15F6 is not mentioned in the main datasheet but in the I210 Specification Update (April 2019: Revision 2.6

332763-010)

Or are there other issues with out iNVM settings.

I have tried the latest 24.1 release of the drivers for Windows7 x64 (the target OS for this device).

Please answer this firmware question as we can only test the hardware once we have this configured properly.

0 Kudos
NGhor
Beginner

Firstly I will update with the progress I have made in case it helps others: Then I will answer your question in the next comment @Mæcenas_INTEL​ 

• The issue with the adapter unable to initialize was due to the driver being installed not being able to initialize. Once you uninstall the driver you can communicate with the device using eeupdate and also lanconf.
  • With no driver installed I was able to update the iNVM. Using lanconf i can read the PHY registers. I have attached the file I used to update the iNVM
  • I can compare the PHY register with nothing connected and also when a lan cbale is connected from another computer. I can see that the PHY has auto negotiated a connection speed.

​ 

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @NGhor​:

Thanks for your updates.

Could you please give all the information related to the driver associated to the cited condition? Please mention where you find it, the name of the developer, and the details that you consider important.

We are waiting for your clarification.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos
NGhor
Beginner

HI @Mæcenas_INTEL​ 

We are using drivers and firmware iNVM files from Intel.

The driver (Windows 7) is:

The firmware iNVM programming details are above but we initially programmed:

• I210_Invm_SerDesKX_APM_v0.6 (see file attached above)
  • This was from a file from the secure Intel area: 513655-i210-i211-production-images

This file was modified to the file attached above to setup to use and External PHY. I have attached our modifed iNVM file above twice but will attach yet again to this post.

I will request again to

• Please inspect this attached iNVM file
  • Please specify if the Device ID/SKU 0x1538 (register 0x2) is correct or not. THis may be the reason the driver is not initializing properly.

Thanks,

Naveed

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @NGhor​:

Thanks for your clarification.

Based on your previous communication, could please try to reproduce the reported problem after run Intel(R) Driver & Support Assistant [Intel(R) DSA] and let us know the results? It can be found at:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html

Could you please let us know the name, document #, and version of the tools that you used to program the iNVM? By the way, please give also this information for the iNVM.

By the way, could you please list the sources that you use to design your project as we requested the past July 12th, 2019?

We are waiting for your answer.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos
NGhor
Beginner

Hi @Mæcenas_INTEL​ 

Please see answers to you queries below. I will replay with some follow up question too after these.

Intel(R) Driver & Support Assistant [Intel(R) DSA]

• I have installed this with not much help as we do not have a network (so no Internet access)
  • Is this to get the latest drivers?
  • Please note as mentioned we are using the 24.1 drivers release a coupe of weeks ago. Will this tool have access to drivers newer than this or is it for something else?

iNVM Programming Tools

• We are using lanconf and eeupdate from 348742-quartzville-tools-537339

Project Design Source:

Questions:

• i210 flash less with external PHY
    • We are using a flash less design. Is it possible to have an external PHY with a flash less design?
    • i210 Specs (Feb 2019 v3.4) The note on top of page 10 indicates it is possible.
    • However this forum post from @Cagui2 seems to indicate it may not be possible: https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D70P0000068EHGSA2
    • i210 Spec Update (April 2019 v2.6: 332763-010) also mention the Device ID 0x15F6 for flashless SGMII but only for WGI210CS and WGI210CL
  • Do you have a list of i210 SKU's available in case we need a different flavor of i210. We are currently using WGI210IS

Please not this is now an urgent issue specially if we may need to change designs.

Regards,

Naveed

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @NGhor​:

Thanks for you update.

It is important to let you know that the i210 cannot run SGMII under iNVM.

In case that SGMII is needed you should require a flash part.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​ 

0 Kudos
NGhor
Beginner

@Mæcenas_INTEL​ 

Thanks: So is there an error in the specs and specs update below?

• see i210 Specs (Feb 2019 v3.4) The note on top of page 10 indicates it is possible.
  • i210 Spec Update (April 2019 v2.6: 332763-010) mention the Device ID 0x15F6 for flashless SGMII but only for WGI210CS and WGI210CL.

Please also provide a list of i210's available with the same footprint so we may see what we may able able to replace with.

0 Kudos
Wilson_F
Beginner

I am experiencing the exact same issue that was seen in this thread, was there a resolution which did not require an additional flash part?

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @Wilson_F :

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

We sent an email to the address related to your account with information that may help you.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @NGhor​:

Thanks for your updates.

All of the i210 chips have the same pins footprint, the CS/CL model add 4 solder points at the 4 corners.

The SGMII implementation is designed for talking to a SFP cage, as it adds in I2C control signals.

For backplane/chip to chip communications, we suggest using the Serdes KX protocol, which is already available in the iNVM file package.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos