Embedded Intel Atom® Processors
Technological Conversations about Intel Atom® Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics

Apollo Lake abuot USB OTG question

PSu4
Beginner

Follow Document: Feature Comparison of the Intel® Joule™ Module and the Intel Atom® Processor E3900 Series

• I/O Interface Limitations

Intel Atom® processor E3900 series supports a single LPSS SPI port, compared to Joule's two LPSS SPI ports; The Intel® Joule™ module supports USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 OTG while the Intel Atom® processor E3900 series supports USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 dual-role

(it does not support OTG).

follow document , apollo Lake not support USB OTG

but on Linux Yocto can switch USB Host / slave mode with register change , and gadget usb disk with slave mode.

so Intel defined USB OTG is not supported through the Detect USB OTG cable switch Host and Slave role?

ries
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Adolfo_S_Intel

Hello DFIsw

Could you please clarify what do you refer by Detect USB OTG cable switch?

This in an extract from Intel BIOS Writers Guide for Apollo Lake, this is a private document so I can't show the full document.

"In addition to xHCI USB sub-systems shown in previous chapters, APL SoC integrates an USB OTG controller that supports Device-mode operation at Super Speed, High

Speed, and Full Speed. The host-mode and OTG discovery/switching functionality of the controller are not used.

The platform may assign a dedicated type B USB socket to this controller, or use ID PIN-based multiplexing to share a type AB socket between this controller and one of

the ports of the other USB controllers "

Hope this information is useful for your case.

Best Regards,

Adolfo Sanchez

0 Kudos
PSu4
Beginner

Hello AdolfoS

Thank you for your response

About "detect usb otg cable"

USB Type A and Type B through the USB OTG Cable to the ID pin on the voltage changes, switch

USB host / peripheral role, but in the Type C above CC1 and CC2 through the voltage changes determine the role of USB host / peripheral.

I do not understand why Intel in some files that Apollo Lake does not support the meaning of USB OTG?

Best Regards,

DFIsw

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, DFIsw:

Thanks for your update.

In order to help you, we will contact you via email.

Best regards,

Carlos_A.

0 Kudos