Embedded Intel Atom® Processors
Technological Conversations about Intel Atom® Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics

Bay Trail USB host issue

HTay
New Contributor I

Hello and good day,

This issue cropped up when using the Micro-USB host on a Bay Trail Android engineering sample tablet; because there's only that single USB port on the tablet, I have to connect a USB drive & keyboard via USB hub in order to boot another OS (or the Android KitKat installer provided at 01.org).

I tried booting Fedora 20/21 (using Linux kernels v3.11, v3.15 and v3.16), but the system stops responding to my keyboard/mouse inputs shortly after the the graphical desktop (or text login prompt) is displayed. I can still see system activity happening, e.g. the clock updates the time, but the USB hub status led turns off, and re-plugging doesn't work.

This issue also happens when I try to use the keyboard and mouse on the preinstalled Android (kernel v3.10), they work okayl for a while but the USB hub typically goes out of action when Android wakes from sleep. Naturally I tried with different USB hubs and thumbdrives but the issue persists.

Could this be a kernel issue? More specifically, could this be an issue with the 64-bit kernel? Because I didn't notice this issue when I previously booted 32-bit Fedora on (slightly) older Bay Trail Windows tablets.

Please let me know if you guys have a different diagnosis and/or a solution to this issue.

Many thanks and best regards,

Hugh Tay

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Casey_H_Intel
Community Manager

Hello Hugh,

The initial concern is that the hub(s) may not be compatible with the device. You'll need to confirm with both the hub and tablet manufacturer that these devices are compatible. Our advice is to seek support from the manufacturer of the tablet.

Best Regards,

Casey H.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Casey_H_Intel
Community Manager

Hello Hugh,

I am running your scenario by engineers working on Bay Trail platforms. I will reply again when I have received information from them.

Best Regards,

Casey H.

HTay
New Contributor I

Hello Casey,

Thanks for helping to check about this, meanwhile I will also try to do more tests on my end to see if I can narrow down the problem further.

Best regards and cheers,

Hugh

0 Kudos
Casey_H_Intel
Community Manager

Hello Hugh,

The initial concern is that the hub(s) may not be compatible with the device. You'll need to confirm with both the hub and tablet manufacturer that these devices are compatible. Our advice is to seek support from the manufacturer of the tablet.

Best Regards,

Casey H.

HTay
New Contributor I

Hello Casey,

Many thanks for helping to investigate with this issue, we'll go with your suggestion. At least now we can be reasonably confident it's not a problem with Bay Trail architecture in general. =)

Best regards,

Hugh

0 Kudos
HTay
New Contributor I

Hi Casey,

I went to check with the OEM about this issue, and they said it's likely caused by, I quote, "Intel's watch-dog in charger driver is timeout (approximately 160s) so that turn off USB power".

Interestingly enough they suggested I check with your team regarding the official recommendation to address this issue, at least in the case of Android.

Any ideas?

Many thanks and best regards,

Hugh

0 Kudos
Casey_H_Intel
Community Manager

Hello Hugh,

I don't see in this thread that you have tested using Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. Have you tested either of those OSs to see if the same issue occurs?

Also, where are you pulling the drivers for the Android OS?

Best Regards,

Casey H.
0 Kudos
HTay
New Contributor I

Good day Casey,

According to the OEM, they don't have any plans to build a Windows 7/8.1 port to their tablet right now, so unfortunately I'm not able to test this USB host issue with Windows. On the other hand, they seem positive about coming up with a fix in the USB driver after they talked to other teams also working on Bay Trail tablets.

As for Android drivers in general, apparently I'm supposed to get them from the Intel portal service at

https://businessportal.intel.com/irj/portal https://businessportal.intel.com/irj/portal

but I'm not able to access this service, what should I do?

Many thanks and cheers,

Hugh

0 Kudos
Casey_H_Intel
Community Manager

Hello again Hugh,

The Android BSP you are working with comes from 01.org, correct? If so, you would need to contact them for support information.

However, there are http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/intelligent-systems/software/android-software-optimizations-atom-platforms.html?wapkw=android BSP's available from Intel ecosystem vendors. Please let us know if that site provides the correct BSP for your system.

Best Regards,

Casey H.

HTay
New Contributor I

Hello Casey,

Gosh! Sorry for replying so late... I had to go out of town and I didn't realize you had replied. Thanks so much for the BSP info, it's certainly helpful, and I will check with our vendor accordingly!

Best regards,

Hugh Tay

0 Kudos
MShig3
New Contributor I

FWIW here's Insyde's answer regarding my account request and BSP query (good they told it beforehand two weeks ago):

However, we only have binaries/files that work with the Intel Bayley Bay CRB development board. It will not work with anything else and we do not advise attempting to install this on anything besides this CRB.

0 Kudos