Embedded Intel Atom® Processors
Technological Conversations about Intel Atom® Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics

C3000 not booting BIOS

jamesadupre
Novice

Hi,

I'm working on a design that uses the C3000 and it doesn't seem to be booting the BIOS image that is programmed into SPI Flash. The SPI Flash image is the latest version that is available for download from Intel's web site (HVLRCRB.86B.WR.64.2021.17.4.01.1422.HCV16D37.bin). I programmed the SPI flash using a Dedi Prog SF600 Plus before installing it on my board. The C3000 successfully transitions to the S0 state and de-asserts the PMU_PLTRST_N signal, so it seems that at least some of the information in the SPI Flash - i.e. the soft straps - are being read properly by the C3000. But after the PMU_PLTRST_N de-asserts there is no other activity that I can discern which indicates that the BIOS is now executing. I don't see any activity on the UART0 port with a scope probe on the TXD signal. Further, the DDR01_DRAMRST_N signal does not de-assert. I would very much appreciate any insights as to what might be happening at this point. Is the C3000 not happy with the BIOS image? Are there any signals I can check to ascertain the root cause of its apparent stagnancy? I've looked at MCERR_N, IERR_N, and SOC_ERROR_N[0:2] and all are de-asserted.

Regards,
James

0 Kudos
7 Replies
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @jamesadupre:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.
We want to address the following questions to understand the reported situation:
Could you please clarify if the device related to this situation has been designed by you or by a third-party company?
Could you please let us know the part number, name of the manufacturer, and where to find the information related to the affected project?
Could you please list the source that you used to develop the design associated with the mentioned processor and if it has been verified by Intel?
We are waiting for your answer to these questions.
Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
jamesadupre
Novice

Hi Carlos,

In response to your questions:

Q: Could you please clarify if the device related to this situation has been designed by you or by a third-party company?

A: The host board for the C3000 was designed by me.

Q: Could you please let us know the part number, name of the manufacturer, and where to find the information related to the affected project?

The part number is the C3958, manufactured by Intel

Q: Could you please list the source that you used to develop the design associated with the mentioned Ethernet Controller and if it has been verified by Intel?

A: This is not an Ethernet Controller, it's an Intel Atom C3958 aka Denverton CPU.

Regards,
James

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @jamesadupre:

Thanks for your reply.

We apologize for the confusion with the last question.

Could you please list the source that you used to develop the design associated with the mentioned situation and if it has been verified by Intel?

We are waiting for your answer.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
jamesadupre
Novice

I used the Harcuvar reference design as the basis for my design, including the CPLD code. The schematic was reviewed by Intel (TNT Design Review Services, specifically). They provided a violation report and I corrected all the violations they identified

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @jamesadupre:

Thanks for your replies.

We want to address the following questions:

Could you please clarify if it is a new project that you own?

Could you please clarify if this situation has been reproduced in a Harcuvar Customer Reference Board(CRB)?

We are waiting for your answer.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
jamesadupre
Novice

1) Yes, this is a new project that I designed and own

2) Unfortunately I don't have a Harcuvar CRB and have been unable to locate one. Do you have any suggestions? I would very much like to purchase one.

Regards,
James

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @jamesadupre:

Thanks for your reply.

We sent an email to the address associated with this account with suggestions that may help you.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos